Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend Recap, the Wrath of the Irish (cereal), and more project goodness.



Remember when going to the movies was cheap(er)? We took Code Name Diamond and her bff Code Name Emerald to go see "Kung Fu Panda" this weekend. Ouch, man. Afterwards, we went to to the Roanoke Community Pool and had a great time. Code Name Diamond took a little convincing to go down the water slide, but afterwards, we couldn't get her off of it. the attendant was giving her high-fives as she slid down. She had a really good time, and she's looking forward to going to a bigger park (with bigger slides) someday. After that she made snickerdoodles with Code Name Lifeline before calling it a night.

On Sunday we had ate a delicious and nutritious breakfast of cereal. I chose Lucky Charms, which I can no longer eat without suffering some digestive misfortune. I don't know if it's high sugar content or an overload of lactose or what, but it produced undesirable effects I don't wish to repeat. Code Name Diamond and I made paper boxes (I'm keeping my medications in mine) and had another water balloon fight. I also shot a few balloons filled with shaving cream with a BB gun, but she was not as impressed as I thought she'd be.

One thing I struggle with is playing with her. She always wants me to play, but I have no idea how to play with a 7-year old. Should I be playing with her like a peer, or should I be a bit more "mature" than that and remain a bit more "professional" as her father? Don't get me wrong - we do stuff, ya know? I swim with her and splash around with her at the pool and all, but when she wants to play "spy" what do I do? I want her to know I love her - is playing with her a good way to show that, or does it undermine my authority as her father a little? I don't have the answer to that one.

At any rate, I dropped her off at 6:30 'cause her her mom & stepdad went to go see "The Dark Knight" (I haven't been yet, so don't tell me anything about it) and went immediately to church to play softball. I did a lot better this time, I think, though I skinned my knee and bruised my tailbone. I picked up some new batting tips and my hitting improved immediately. Last week I played catcher - this week I played right field because we had a guy pitching. I only had one ball get by me.

I have to say - physically, softball doesn't hold a candle to paintball. Softball feels like strolling to the mailbox compared to the furious pace of paintball. It's kind of nice, but I'm still sore today.

I gotta call my doc & get my anti-anxiety meds refilled. I hope I don't have to go in for that :-(

I head a phrase that really hit home with me on at CR on Friday night - ready for this?

Pain is inevitable, but misery is a choice.

Wow - how cool is that? That's seems to have a little bit of tattoo potential, even, after my MJH tat, of course.

OH - and I have two ideas I'm working on. In no particular order, here they are.

#1) a second blog, updated once a week. It's called "Fight Hard - Fight Dirty" and it's going to be devoted solely to beating sex addiction. I'm not fixed, but I can start writing about what worked for me, and some of the victories I've had, and maybe help some other guys. I chose that title because our addiction doesn't fight fair - it's insidious, pervasive, clever, and just plain doesn't fight fair. If it's going to fight dirty, why the hell shouldn't we?

#2) A lot of you know that I was working on restoring a car a few years ago and had to abandon the project because of an anticipated move and financial reasons. I always wanted to go back and finish the job, but now I've stumbled on to something better. When I get back on my financial feet again, I'm going to build my own "batmobile", designed to my specifications and built to suit me. More on that as it develops, but I've already started designing it just a little. The best (and most ironic) part? It'll be less expensive than restoring a vintage car to original condition, and I can do all the crazy crap I want to it. :-)

OK - enough blogging. I gotta get to work - I have a week's worth of catching up to do. I love my daughter like life itself, but keeping her for a whole week and a whole weekend sure messes up my ability to get orders out. You know what, though? It's totally worth it.

PS - Chuck: shoot me an e-mail willya? I need to get Dolly's info from you - I lost it :-( Thanks, bro!

Day 158

1 comment:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Hey Ian- As far as playing with her, it doesn't undermine your authority AT ALL to get down on the ground and play with her. You are not her peer, but if you play with her as one, then you are a lot more likely to be her peer when she gets a little older and you no longer have the authority that you have now.

Pretend with her, when she wants to play spy, go get some binoculars (or a old paper towel roll) and crawl around on the ground on your belly hiding behind furniture. Or make her a treasure map out of old leathered paper bags (e-mail me for how to do this if you don't know) and have her search and rescue some treasure. She is learning FROM YOU! As you play with her, and imagination, then you get to be her influencer, not just her authority. Otherwise, she will learn all of those things only from other 7 year olds. You have the power to entertain her, capture her imagination, teach her, love on her, and experience her when you get down and play.

Some of my BEST memories of my dad were when we were pretending together, or when he was teaching me how to throw a football and a baseball (not like a girl) and wrestling on the carpet (letting me win). Make sure that she gets those memories as well. Most parents are "Too busy" to get to spend that kind of time with their children. If you can do it, then what a gift you are giving her.

You will also be teaching her what kind of a man she should marry to be a father to her children, and in a very short time, she won't want you to play with her, she'll just want to borrow your car or your phone or be on the Internet at your house. Take advantage!

We love you!
Jenny