Monday, July 14, 2008

The Weekend & 3 Important Days



I'll do a quick recap.

Friday I went to CR, which was wonderful, as always. I had missed last week (it was the 4th of July, and I had my kiddo), which brings my average of missed meetings per year from 1 1/2 to 2. Still, out of 104 meetings in two years, I've been to 100 - and that's not bad. After CR We went to the batting cages, but it had rained and the pitching machine was badly flooded, so the balls wouldn't load. We got a refund and vowed to return.

On Saturday I got a sunburned scalp working in the back yard. (I shaved my head bald again last week.) On a slightly entertaining note, I have a nifty butterfly closure and band-aid shaped white spot on the top of my head amidst the pink sunburn. Today I'm wearing a bandanna to prevent further burning, and I smell like Nu-Skin, which is what's holding the two-inch long cut together.

What was I doing in the yard, you ask?

Mowing?
Weeding?
Gardening?
Watering?
Landscaping?
Fence repair?

No - I was installing an 8-foot pole in the ground and screwing a 2' X 4' piece of 1/2" plywood to it at head & torso level. That's right, ladies & gentleman - I made a zombie target shooting range in my own back yard. It holds the zombie silhouette targets (as well as the standard B-27 pistol targets) perfectly, and gives a good 15-yard pistol range. We've been using a BB pistol so far with great results, and not only is it fun, it also builds up muscle memory, helps with fast sight acquisition, and helps with keeping your trigger squeeze consistent.

On Saturday afternoon we went to Uncle J's wedding, where he and his new bride Marsha made their vows. It was a really nice ceremony, done at his house, with lots of Texas flags hanging gloriously. They both looked very happy and very much in love, and I wish them nothing but the absolute best that God has in store for them.

After the wedding, it was time for a short nap, some pizza (Thanks, Mom) and a return to the batting cages, where my hitting was much improved. Out of about 105 pitches, I only missed 3 or 4. My hands are still a little sore today.

Sunday was church, which was great. Afterwards, we went to Taco Bell, and then it was nap time again before the church league softball game on Sunday night. I showed up in a blur t-shirt as I didn't have a jersey, but they immediately lent me one that said "Craig" on the back of it with the number 44. (Hey - Reggie Jackson's number 44, man- you can't beat that!) After a short trial at being pitcher, I was selected to play catcher for the duration of the game, and I think I did pretty well. Once the coach got my name situation all sorted out, I fouled out both times at bat, but I'll do better next time. You know you're clothes are dirty when you have to throw them in the trunk to drive home. I had sweat so much I could have wrung water out of it, and I was covered in dirt from head to toe. It was so much fun!

I'm back on my anti-anxiety meds, and I feel very noticeably better and substantially less stressed. I've been grinding my teeth at night, but that seems to have slackened, too.

The nausea seems to have subsided a little bit. I still have times when I don't want to be touched, but those are becoming a little less frequent. My best guess for the nausea was that I knew that any kind of arousal couldn't possibly be met with any kind of release, and that frustration made any arousal both aggravating and not worthwhile, and made me want to shut it down as quickly as possible to avoid the disappointment at that it would ultimately end with. Meh - my two cents, ya know?

So - why did I say Three Important Days?

Saturday: Code Name Diamond's 7th birthday! I called her and wished her happy birthday, and told her about the party we're having this week. Details to follow....

Sunday: My parent's 40-year wedding anniversary. I don't think I could say anything more than my brother did (you can read his comments HERE) but I do want to say thank you for showing me what a marriage is supposed to look like, and for being such a great example to me and to my daughter. I know it wasn't always easy, and I love you both very much.

Monday (Today): Today is my two-year mark for being in recovery. Happy Birthday to me! Thank you all for all of your support - I'd have never made it this far without you guys. I love you guys very much - all of you. I'll be thinking about all of you guys when I pick up my two-year coin on Friday night. God is good, guys.

Anyway, it's been a good three days, and I had a nice weekend to boot. Back to work, as I have a LOT of it to do.

Day 151, mah chilluns.

1 comment:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Two years! Hey! We're so proud of you!!! And so excited at what God has done and WILL KEEP DOING in your life.

You're awesome. We'll God is awesome in you and that makes you Uber-Cool.