Sunday, November 22, 2009



Tonight at work there was a mean lady that didn't have a valid ID, so I wouldn't let her in.

She was the only adult in her group that didn't have one. After I told her she couldn't get in without a valid ID, she told me about how she was an attorney and was old enough and how stupid it was I wouldn't let her in before she sent her husband back to the car to get one. While he was gone, I tried to make nice with her, but she wasn't having it. When she presented me with it, it had expired in 2008. No dice. When I refused to summon the GM (because the GM had told us not to allow anybody in without a valid ID) for her she began to be nasty in earnest.

She called me a dumb-ass and pathetic and made fun of me and told me how pathetic I was before disparaging our bar (which is by far the best one I've ever worked at) and how (after I gave her my name) she said how forward she was looking to "looking me up" before her husband started telling her to shut up and leave me alone. Her party, who seemed embarrassed at her conduct, quickly gave up and left. I told her to have a nice evening but I didn't really mean it.

I have to admit she got under my skin a little. I suppose to her way of thinking, a poorly educated minimum-wage peon had the gall to tell her no. I kind of got the impression that she's fairly used to getting her way, and doesn't seem to take it so well when she doesn't. And odds are she was mad about it for the rest of the night, and will probably spend the next week plotting my death, or at least badmouthing me or expressing pity for my sad little existance to anybody that will listen. I can't control that, so I'm not going to worry about it. Waking up every day and having to be her is probably punishment enough, I guess. I know - I've been there.

I tried to pray the being kind of angry at her away, but it didn't really leave that quickly, and I was a little bent at myself for letting an anonymous mean lady get under my skin, but it's starting to go away. One of these days, she'll have to stand before God and give an account for her actions here on earth, and maybe God will remind her of how nasty she was to me. I guess that makes me feel a little better about it.

In all fairness, I know I already have a lot that I have to answer for myself, and I'm still trying really hard not to add to the pile - I get that, and I'm no better than she is, really. I mean, my pride has gotten the best of me more times than I can count, and I'm sure I've been a horse's ass to people for just doing their job, too.

I sure didn't like it when it was done to me tonight, though. She was a mean person who didn't like being told "no", and she took it out on me. Not cool, lady. Not cool.

Anyway, that's it. I know mean, nasty people are part and parcel of being a bouncer - I get that, and I didn't let it affect me or my job, so there's no problem there, and when I wake up tomorrow I won't care. I figure I'd dump it here, though, just to let it fade away a little faster. Thanks for reading, guys.

633 for Sunday.

6 comments:

haitimom said...

She was diminished not you. I'm thinking Toni could "take her though"

I'm proud of you for hanging tough and doing the right thing.

brian said...

Yeah man I'm sorry. You're right about her waking up being herself is punishment enough. What a jerkbag. *\:

Brandon and Jenny said...

I once heard this story of maybe President Roosevelt (forget which one) had a guy was his chief of staff who had a maid. He asked the maid to hold all his calls while he took a much needed nap. The president calls.
She says, "He is napping, may I take a message".
The president says,
"It's the president, go wake him up."
She replies, "Sir, I work for him, not for you. He told me to hold his calls. May I take a message?"
The President hung up and when the guy called him back he said, "Who is that woman working for you - and how can I get her to work for me. I want a staff of people like that."

You did what most people don't - your job. You did what your boss asked of you. And you did it with a small, mean, nasty, ugly, bitter little weasel person making you feel stupid and you didn't lash out at her or loose your temper. That's called character. Honor. Integrity. It's called being a man and your employee could not have a better one working for him.

I wish I would have been there - I would have laid in to her for you. Because sometimes it needs to be done but you can't do it.

Steven said...

Am I truly the only one here who sees how this was wrong?

Isn't an *ID* 'valid' as an ID even if it is no longer 'valid' as a license?

"VALID ID" does not automatically equate to "VALID LICENSE". an expired license with a photo STILL IDENTIFIES YOU.

Just because someone's drivers license has expired, does not mean the IDENTIFACTION information is no longer 'valid'. Your birth-date isn't subject to change just because your driver's license has expired.

Sorry - on this one, I have to sympathize with the angry lady because I can see her side of it.

From her point of view, she had a "valid id" and she saw you as just being a "power drunk" jerk for refusing to let her in because the license part of it had expired.

I would have been pissed too - and anyone here who claims they would not have also been pissed if they had been in the same situation is not being truthful.

Now, you might claim that you would have been pissed, sure, but would not have been "mean" about it - but I doubt that as well. You would have recounted the story of the "idiot" who would not honor your PHOTO ID simply because it was an expired license and in doing so, ruined a night out with your family or friends.

Anonymous said...

TABC does not recognize it as VALID if it is EXPIRED.
One of the reasons is that someone can use an expired ID that had belonged to somebody else.

I have done it with my sister's ID in the past- the likeliness was just enough to get me into clubs.

Maybe the rule should read 'valid and CURRENT' ID.

Steven said...

If you look that much like your sister, what prevents you from using her NON-EXPIRED license to get in just as easily? At THAT point, YOU are breaking the law, not the person who checked your id.

At the airport security point in Las Vegas yesterday, the (older) woman ahead of us had lost her drivers license sometime during her visit. They were asking her for ANY ID WITH HER PHOTO - but she did not have anything. The guy called over his supervisor but then we passed on through so I never got to see how they ultimately resolved it.

I realized, after the fact, one night in LV that I used my CHL for ID instead of my driver's license and they didn't even blink - because they were just verifying my IDENTITY.

Did this "mean woman" look too young? I don't get "carded" when I buy alcohol any more. :-( So what is the TABC ruling for that? Shouldn't everyone get "carded"? If not, that means enforcement is subjective.

Ian might have changed her entire attitude if he had declared she looked "too young" to him to be going into clubs. BUT, if she was obviously over 21, then we're back to this being wrong.