
As an added note to yesterday's blog, Bunny Cat did eventually come out from her room. of course, I had to pick her up and carry her, and she yowled, spit and hissed at first, but after a few minutes she settled down and began to walk around a little bit and enjoy the change of scenery. She even looked out she sliding glass door for a while. I was hoping she'd eat the other cat's food for a while, but one step at a time.
There's also another bit of theology, too - even if God takes us someplace He thinks we ought to go, we have the capacity to bitch mightily about it, even though He knows it's for our own good.
Anyway, that's not what I was going to write about tonight, so I'll digress.
What I wanted to write about tonight was one aspect of motherhood, and that's basically my guy reaction on who's going to be a good mom. 'Cause I know everything, right?
I can only do it with people I really know, and only with people withing my own age group, which is why I'm not including my own Mom in this one. Occasionally, somebody will just be give out such a strong good mom vibe I can feel it before I feel like I really know them, and I have to give them all the preemptive credit and good vibes they're due. My buddy Bri's wife Cristina is a shining example of one of these. While my relationship with Brian is about a 9 on a ten scale, I'd have to put her around a 6, just because we haven't hung out for as long. However, I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that she'd be an excellent Mom. I could feel it, ya know?
She's not the first one, either. I knew my first wife (Code Name Carbon Fidelis) would be an superb mother. I never had a doubt in my mind (and still don't) that my long-time "adopted sister" Tara would be a wonderful mother.
Now, to all you Mom's who didn't get mentioned - don't get all sore. You guys are great too, and odds are I felt the same way about you guys as well - I just don't have the time to go through and list all of you, so please don't all hurt that I didn't mention you specifically.
Anyway, as Bil Cosby says, I told you that story to tell you this one.
I'm telling you all of this to say how I feel this way about my wife. I knew she'd be a extraordinary Mom within the first few days I knew her. She's kind, caring and compassionate, and isn't afraid to take corrective measures when needed, but never anything overboard or excessive. I want to give her credit for jumping in in with almost no prior experience with a rather headstrong second grader, and only getting one day a week and every other weekend to practice. Yesterday she baby-sat for a friend's 14-month old, and she rocked. I feel like she's going to do a wondrous job when we have a kid, whenever that is, and I just wanted to go on record early so I can look back and say I called it way back when, and have the writing to back it up.
I feel a lot better about raising my daughter with Toni around - it's awful hard to do it by yourself, and those folks that don't have all the help that they need for whatever reason are true-blue heroes in my book. I know I let being a single parent get the best of me several times in the past, causing me to make rash, knee-jerk or just plain emotional decisions without really thinking. Hell - I'll even admit to milking it, using it for sympathy, and playing the martyr, too, but it's been a long while since I've pulled that crap.
Huh - I didn't end expect to end up here. This is not where I thought I was going at all. If you guys think I can dig a little deeper than this let me know - it may be an area in my life I need to further examine in order to make me a better father and husband, so don't be shy.
Anyway, I think that's about it. To recap - and to get back on my original point - I think - no, I know - Toni's going to be a magnificent Mom, guys. I just know it. I'm calling it now.
P.S. - These are my new boots.
So far they're a bit stiff, but they're breaking in pretty well so far. Via con Dios, New Boots - you have large shoes to fill.
629

3 comments:
Moms come with pluses and minuses like everybody else. Unfortunately we come with a sin nature which permeates all aspects of our life including how we carry out our role as a mother. Fortunately women are born with a God given maternal instinct that helps us a lot. It has nothing to do with us except how we use and not abuse it.
Since you brought up the subject, I would be interested to know what criteria you use to make a decision on who will be a good mom. On a scale of 1-10 how did I do? be honest I can take it. I know a lot of ways I blew it but looking at you and Brandon I must have done something right. Yes, Toni is a very good mom to CND. and will be a good mom when you'll have a child.
Thank you for caring for Bunny. I'm glad she came out of her "den" for a while. Maybe she can overcome her fear and enjoy life more. Insightful posts.
I of course agree about mine - she was going to be a good one from the start. But watching her grow into that role has been amazing.
I would imagine playing the single-dad-card would be quite tempting were I in that situation. I mean, c'mon.. that's like base level emotional bait to grab. Quick fix for right now, pity party, all of that.
Nice lookin' new foot gear. And yeah if I were your new boots and read your eulogy to your old boots and new I had to fill those soles, I'd be quaking in.. myself. *(:
"new"? Maybe my 'k' key is stuck. psh. I should at least scan my posts before I hit go.
Post a Comment