Monday, September 15, 2008

For Monday



I'm not feeling overly sensitive today.

When the government tell you to leave because there's a hurricane coming towards you, and then goes so far as to tell you that if you stay:

A) you are risking certain death
B) you are on your own
C) you'll have no electricity, fuel, food or water
D) there's the possibility that nobody will be coming to rescue you

....and you choose to stay anyway, you don't get to bitch because nobody has come to help your sorry ass in the time frame you felt was appropriate.

OK - got that off my chest. I feel better.

I've started cooking most every night now, and I've noticed something. Am I alone on this?

I think that condiments with black folks and fat people on the label taste better, and are superior products.

Stubbs BBQ sauce.
Aunt Jemima Syrup.
Paul Prudhomme's spices.

This doesn't translate too well beyond condiments, unfortunately. Most "faces" of corporate food are painfully white.

Orville Redenbacher
The Burger King
Jack (from the Box)
Ronald McDonald
Colonel Sanders
Long John Silver
Wendy

I rest my case.

If there's a "black" corporate face I missed please let me know, willya? Off the top of my head I can't think of any, which points awkwardly to my own whiteness.

I also stand by my assertion that black folks, fat people (and southern white people) eat better food than most white folks, and that soul food is the best food God ever created, right behind manna. And yeah - Cajun food counts as soul food. Anything made north of Tennessee is suspicious.

For the record, I love black folks, just in case there was any question :-)

OK - back to work.

214

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Stubbs is awesome!...had some last night as a matter of fact!

Ian said...

Thank God somebody said something. I figured I had written (again) thread that nobody wanted to comment on.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Aunt Jemima
Uncle Ben's
Nike

Just to name a few off the top of my head

Brandon and Jenny said...

Oh, and Stubbs is a RESTAURANT in Lubbock.

Brandon and Jenny said...

I meant that to mean the food is as good as the sauce. Unless it closed down.

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

Stubbs, BBQ is the bomb!