You know what's hard work? Building a spearhead from raw materials - using only hand tools.
So I started off with a 1" wide band of galvanized steel. After roughing out the basic shape I heated-treated the blade (with a blow torch) until it was red hot and then dipped it in a tub of cool water to make the metal harder and less flexible, and to cause it to hold it's edge better. It turned out OK, especially for a first try. I'd like to try it with an actual forge and bellows, anvil and hammer some time. Anyway, here's how it came out. It's friction-fitted and cross-bolted onto about a 6 1/2' long 1" diameter shaft. I think it was a hanging bar out of my neighbor's closet. I found it in the trash.
The metal has changed color after the heat-treating. I used a file to start the edges of the blade. I ended up with the bowie-knife style tip by accident; I ended up badly hacking up the blade's tip on one side and was forced to use a blade design other than what I had intended. It'll still work, though. Against zombies, I guess. I don't want to use it against hogs, though - I'd have to make a different one if I'm going to use it against feral hogs.
I ended up going with a 7" blade as the steel isn't as hard as I'd like. I'd like to try it again some day with some nice carbon steel and the proper metalwork tools to create a nice, long (12") double-edged tip. The next time I want to wrap the blade end of the shaft in strips of wet rawhide and let it dry in the sun. I'd also like to made a spear scabbard as well. Maybe next time.
Aside from that I did almost nothing. I helped Toni (very, very little) work a bit. I got my Sonic and my tater tots, and we ate leftover BBQ from yesterday, which tasted better than it did the first time. Toni's feeling a LOT better, which is no small feat. On Sunday morning she got food poisoning, or it kicked in from Saturday night. She was sick as a dog, man, like throwing up your insides out kind of sick. It took a lot out of her, and she was really weak all day on Monday and a still a bit work down today, but she's able to eat again and hold it down, which I'm glad for. We think it was that same Taco Cabana that messed up my steak fajita taco and then argued with me about it. I shan't forget their poisoning my beloved too quickly, either. Maybe I ought take my spear in there and give them the what-for.
No news on the car. When the lady call us back we'll go look at it, but we didn't get to go see it today. It was a pretty relaxing day anyway. Tomorrow I think I'm gonna have another one, but I think I'm going to work around the house a little. And help Toni out more, too.
And I didn't say anything else on Brent's blog, either. I think they're saying enough amongst themselves. I have to admit I'm pretty glad not to be involved past being a mere observer.
Have a cat.

456

10 comments:
Come on Ian, we need to try it on them pigs. If it doesn't hold up to them then we can always run away...
I'll do it, but you had by-God better cover me.
I am not insulting your workmanship, but the thought of us chashin pigs with a spear who's shaft might or might not be a wooden dowel from the neighbors closet just strikes me as very funny and something that we should really consider doing. Maybe it would be best if we involve Hasty in this and he can cover us with the .45 long Colt?
I'm in. Hasty can cover me any time.
Also, when are you, Cindy & "Uma" coming over to eat?
I want a cool code name. Cool code names are wasted on youth. ;-)
OH OH, Thats sounds like a line from 'Its A Wonderful Life' but I cannot figure it out.
You hear that? We're usin' code names.
Word Verification: SCOTCH
RAAAAR!!!
"We've been released on own own recognizances"
WHAT?????????
Post a Comment