
I guess I have a few things to get off my chest. Today I felt like a bad dad. I've been talking all weekend about going biking to the park with our daughter, and today we canceled it because she wasn't trying. She just wasn't, man. She was just puttering around with her feet and refusing to put her feet on the pedals and ride, which I know she can do, and then she got whiny. After trying to get her to put forth a little effort and giving her several chances, we turned around and came back home before we made it out of the alley - it took us nearly ten minutes go go 50 feet, and we had a limited amount of time. And I'll admit - I got frustrated with her and a little mad because she was just giving up because, as she put it, "it was hard". I told her that I wouldn't let her quite and give up when something got hard. We had a long talk about all of this, and I stood my ground and we didn't go riding, but I sure felt bad about it.
I think we're going to got see our therapist this week. Part of me wants to go by myself because I don't want to talk about some of what I'm experiencing with my wife because I'm afraid it'll hurt her feelings. I mean, it's nothing she doesn't know, but I hate to talk about it anyway. I feel really bad about it, but I'm having a bitch of a time shaking it because I'm having a really hard time getting my emotions to follow my 100% of the time brain on this one thing.
On Friday I fired a girl at work. I had all my ducks in a row and had my bosses approval. She was a terrible, terrible employee with an extensive number of write-ups, suspensions, and "last warnings". In fact, that she's gotten canned twice before but has somehow gotten her job back, ostensible because she's blond, very well-endowed and fond of parading her assets around in skimpy clothing. According to the rumor mill at work, she's gong to some back up to the office and "try to get her job back" tomorrow by talking to the General Manager, who's been the one that's re-hied her twice before. If she's get re-hired I'm going to quite trying to write anybody up, because apparently it does no good if you're nice to look at. That sucks, man. If she gets hired back I'm going to start looking for another gig someplace else. It probably wouldn't be too hard to find another job making a little (or a lot?) more, but I'm wouldn't quit unless I had something else lined up. And, for the record, he could do the right thing and not hire her back. At the end of the day it's not my call, I guess. I've done my best here.
It wasn't all bad. We went to Grapevine's Main Street Days on Saturday, and the weather was just about perfect. We all three tried kayaking (which was fun) remote control boats (also fun) and our daughter ride a few rides, including her favorite, the giant slide. We saw glassblowing, ate steak-on-a-stick, Jamaican jerk chicken, and our kiddo did the bungee trampoline. Toni and I did the mechanical bull, and Code Name Diamond was going to try scuba diving but was a few months short of the minimum age of eight. She was disappointed, but I think we might try it this summer. She's getting much braver, except where her bicycling is concerned.
And finally, here's something our church is doing. The news came out and did a little piece on what's been going on. You can watch it HERE.
Anyway, that's it. I have to be at work in a few hours.
449

7 comments:
I can't help but see the correlation between what happened with your daughter and what happened at work.
You did the right thing in both cases.
I have no idea about the girl at work. Sounds like the best thing for her is to get fired and realize what life is like.
I think (for what it's worth) that you did the exact right thing with your daughter. You taught her that whining doesn't get you anywhere and that if you want to do something hard, it will be hard. And you didn't give in, which is HUGE.
Giving in is why the blond gal at work is the way she is. Her parents taught her to be like that. You and Toni are in the very long process of raising a child that knows how the real world works and is equipped to live in it.
Hats off to you guys. I know it was really hard.
The USA Today Article on Cross Timbers just came across my email from the staff here at SHBC. It's making waves across the nation.
So that was not Jonathon who blogged that but rather Nathan.
Jonathon is a student of mine who chose to log me out of gmail.
Errrggggg.
Anyway...all that to say is that Cross Timbers is challenging people all the way up here in Pittsburgh.
word verification: tedbelin
I remember Ted Belin. He was a fine strapping young man.
I just read the article. That is so super cool. What a concept. I love how on the Sunday he said to take from the plate if you needed it, more came in. That means people thought other's would take money and so they put more in than normal to make up for it. That's incredible. Which, on a side note, was a show I used to love.
Excellent job Ian. I know how hard it can be bein a Daddy. My little one has been actin up and in trouble here lately, not much fun. But we as parents have the privilege of helpin them grow. Just hide the grumblin and soldier on knowin you are right.
I just wanted to comment here because the verification word is
ROPIN.
sweet
Post a Comment