
I'm 36 and I'm making $8.50 an hour, I haven't made that little working full-time since I was 22. It's not even close to the "living wage" I need to be making to meet my financial goals and obligations, especially when 75% of it is being garnished by the AG's office. Tonight it bothers me some.
I know I should be grateful to have a job at all. I know there are a lot of people who have no job at all and who would be grateful for the job I *do* have. Tonight I've been wondering why God has me where He has me, and what I should be learning and/or doing. The only thing that's keeping me from being really frustrated is that somehow He's working some kind of plan that I don't understand; and evidently that has me doing the job of a high school graduate that's still too young to legally drink. It's hard on my ego and my pride. I feel like I'm too (fill in the blank here) to be doing this job. How much of that is egocentricity and how much of it is recognizing that maybe I ought to be doing something else more closely matched to my experience and skill set?
I need to be clear on something else, too. I'm not in love with another woman or thinking about leaving my wife (as if) or having serious marriage troubles or anything, so you guys can get that out of your head, if that's where you were. The problem I've been tiptoeing around here is this: Truth be told, I still have a soft spot for one of my ex's and that bothers me. I've (finally?) gotten real with myself and stepped out of denial about it, but I think I may have over-though and over-analyzed this. I think I've made a bigger deal out of this than I needed to. I mean, do I just acknowledge and accept that that's how I feel, adjust my behavior accordingly and move on? Is it normal to have soft spots for your ex's, realize that either there's nothing you can (or should) do about it and go about your day?
And knowing I have a soft spot for an ex bothers me in and of itself, I mean, I'm married. You're supposed to not have any feelings for anybody you used to date or were in a committed relationship with, right? You're supposed to only think about your wife, not have anything remind you of anybody else ever, and forget every moment you lived, every moment you had, every memory you created and essentially wipe out the days, weeks, months and years you lived before your wife, right? I mean, isn't that what being married is all about? And I know that's what I've read on every single Christian marriage book I've ever read, and that's what I've heard in ever single marriage sermon I've ever heard.
But.....
Doesn't that require us to quit being human? I mean, don't we all have those feelings, whether we admit it or not? Is it realistic to believe that we can really live our lives without ever remembering anybody we cared about before we were married or completely ignore whatever feelings we carry? Isn't that lying to ourselves or to our spouses when we experience those feelings and don't acknowledge them, try to hide them, and/or don't deal with them honestly?
And I'm not talking about infidelity (either emotional or physical) or harboring fantasies or planning some kind of rendezvous or plotting how you're going to get back together or thinking "what if" or sneaking around or communicating behind your spouses back or anything like that - I'm talking about admitting the feelings you do have, acknowledging them for what they are, adjusting your behavior if necessary (including discussing it with your spouse) and going on with your life? Surely I'm not the only one that deals with this.
I think the second option is healthier that the first, and more honest. And less stressful.
Anyway, that's where I am tonight. I have a soft spot for my ex. I own it, I understand the consequences of that, and I'll deal with it as appropriate. And nothing has changed between me and my wife, aside from me loving her more today then I did the day I married her.
450, because I haven't gone to bed yet.

10 comments:
If you've ever seen the tv show The Wonder Years, the protagonist Kevin had a neighbor he grew up with and dated throughout high school and into his first year of college...her name was Winnie Cooper.
In the last episode of the show, after the two had an intimate night in a barn running from a rain storm, the overdub mentioned that they vowed to stay together forever...and then Winnie went to Paris to study art...and Kevin and his wife and two kids picked her up at the airport.
Life moves on. We all have our Winnie Coopers. And girls have their Kevin Arnolds. If it's true that love never ends (and I think it is), then it'd only be natural to have a fondness. It's also true that love is a choice. And if we choose to marry and be devoted to someone else, then the feelings will follow that and our love and devotion for the one we choose will far and away be more significant than fond memories of a past.
I say all that so say I have no idea what books you've been reading, but they're nonsense on stilts. Love is about walking in the Spirit and choosing to love even when you don't feel like it.
Word verification: draffs. What you get at the bar because it's cheaper than bottled.
not have anything remind you of anybody else ever,
As you insinuated, this is sort of silly. It cannot be done. If you were "in love" with someone at some point, you're most likely going to have feelings for them somewhere. It is a fallacy to think you can completely wipe that out. Regardless of how it turned out/how they treated you/how you feel now.
As you and Brent have pretty much said already, a marriage is a promise to leave that behind. Not attempt to brainwash yourself into pretending it didn't happen, but to actively leave it behind.
This would be an entirely different discussion if you were harboring fantasies or daydreams about rekindling.
but they're nonsense on stilts
Very nice. I may have to work that phrase into a conversation this week.
Well Brent and Brian already said most of what I was thinking. It's like their in my MIND!
We make the wedding vows because we tend to do the opposite. We tend not to love and cherish, we tend not to forsake all others. Marriage and love in marriage is a choice we make because we vowed to to it. It's a wonderful choice with incredibel rewards, but its still a choice.
You have chosen to bring stinky, frustrating, embarrassing (but very real) feelings out into the light and confess them and choose to the the opposite. You are dealing with it. It's what grownups do and I'm proud of you.
We guard against our Winnie Coopers because the feelings are real and left untethered they can lead to actions which cause a lot of pain.
Anyway...great post. I'm praying you get that order.
word verification: EXTRA
It's actually a word.
Thanks, guys. I appreciate you.
verification word: disma
What I'd be without friends like you guys.
Yes, really good post! I have a fondness for an old friend... he wasn't even a boyfriend because he wasn't a believer so I would not allow my feelings to go beyond fondness.
They're still fond...he was a super nice guy! If we'd shared the same values and beliefs, I would definitely have pursued it.
Petey still teases me about "boyfriend Lee" because he knows I had/have a fondness but the reason he can tease me is because he KNOWS I'm committed to him, before God!
He also knows that I pray for Lee frequently...that someone, somewhere along the way came along and watered that seed I hope I planted and maybe someday I'll see Lee in Heaven.
It's human to have a fondness for good memories!! You just can't ACT on that fondness by pursuing it again, if your current life situation makes it wrong to do that. Not that I think you're going to do that...I know you're not!!
Enjoy your good memories, share them with your wife...and good job for staying on top of things and caring so much...oh yeah...and for sharing with us too...I love how you make me think about stuff!
word: frane...a really really fast train..."look mom, there goes the frane!"
Yeah Ian, if you need a reminder of how PAINFUL that relationship was, I bet we can put our heads together and put a little tarnish to the sterling nature of memories.
Be nice - she had her good points, too.
I'll be nice.
But please, please, please tell me your not defending her or anything of that nature.
None of us are in a place to be mean to anybody who is not going out of their way to cause any harm here. Let the past stay in the past. We all have done things we are not proud of. How can we easily forgive and/or be nice to some people (ie the neighbor who we have had words with) and yet still hold disdain for someone who is not even in the picture anymore?
I know you are defending your brother, and believe me, I understand as I have held a personal vendetta against a guy who hurt my sister very badly over 20 years ago. However, I had to let that go and forgive him. In the situation concerning Ian and his ex, I realize in a way I should hold a resentment in defense of my husband, but I do not. Perhaps it is because I was not directly in the picture when the events took place, perhaps I understand where she came from given the signals that were exchanged between the two of them; I am choosing not to get upset unless this affects our marriage, which, it has not.
Some of this is difficult to deal with as Ian's wife, but I do believe, however, that it is unfair to take cheap shots at those who- if they choose to defend themselves- would get shot down by more people.
Verification word: walgo
Waldo's twin brother?
Thanks for your incredibly kind response, Toni. I don't harbor any bitterness, and indeed I was defending my brother, whether he asked for it or not. Which, of course, is not a wise thing to do.
Thank you for loving my brother.
Post a Comment