Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I have six things today


In no particular order....

I. Dinner

So tonight Kent and his bride Cindy were supposed to come over and eat, but Kent apparently got too close to a pig someplace and fell violently ill about an hour before they were supposed to arrive - than sucks, man. I know all of us were looking forward to it, and we'll definitely have to get a raincheck on that. Perhaps next time I'll whip up a batch of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, corn on the cob with plenty of butter and salt and gallons of ice-cold sweet tea. But I digress....

Tonight we had a huge pot of pinto beans seasoned with bacon, salt pork, onions and a bunch of other spices I can't name off the top of my head. They soaked for 12 hours and slow-simmered for another 8 before we ate 'em with some fried potatoes, cornbread, and bit of leftover fried catfish. Man - I love living in the south, especially Texas. I mean, do any of the northern states have anything even close to either of those meals?

II. Reconciled relationships: eternal vs. earthly

It's no real secret that I have had a few (quite badly) broken relationships. I confess that there's always been a part of me that hates the loss of the friendship; the healthy aspects of the relationship, the good parts and the fun times and the special memories that we all have with those in our past. I think that's a normal human response, right? But oftentimes we don't get to continue on with those relationships for whatever reason(s), and those relationships may never be fully reconciled, or both parties fully healed and restored. Sometimes, a mass of scar tissue is the best that you can expect because of the circumstances surrounding both (or either) of you, and that's always left me feeling sad; that sense of loss is perhaps the hardest thing for me to accept, as I always want to end up feeling like both parties walked feeling as though they've taken away something of value that makes all of the hurt worthwhile eventually. I don't know of a way to feel fully recovered from that part - I don't think there is one.

Anyway, my point is this, and this is a point that was told to be by a pastor at my old church, though I can't remember which one.

Every relationship we have here on earth will be reconciled someday - in heaven. In heaven, all conflicts are resolved, all grudges lost, all animosity falls aside, all bitterness dissolves, and there is only the love, peace and harmony that is only found in true heavenly reconciliation and restoration.

Personally, I'm looking forward to that. Truthfully, I want those relationships restored; I want that reconciliation. These past few days I've been leaning more and more on that thought; it helps to think that even the most broken relationships we have here on earth will someday be fully healed by the Almighty God that loves us enough to heal for us those things that we can't heal ourselves; that no amount of time can heal, and I'm glad for that. I'm looking forward to the peace, joy and love that those fully restored, fully reconciled relationships will bring.

III. Walking Tonight

Tonight my wife and I went for a walk. It was only about a mile, but it felt really good to get some exercise, man. I think we're going to try to make this a nightly thing, which would be good for me as I'd like to drop about a few pounds - church softball season is starting in a few months, and I'd like it if I could make it around the bases.

IV. Oscar's New Game and His Newfound Jerkiness

Oscar the cat has developed a new game of running across the kitchen, leaping into midair, clinging to the curtain at the sliding glass door and swinging like a monkey on a vine. We fuss at him to stop, but truthfully, it's quite hilarious. Also, though he's physically the smallest and lightest cat, he has somehow empowered himself into the position of Alpha Male, or whatever the lead cat is. We think he bullies the other two on occasion, and we're both waiting for the two of them to gang up on him and take him down a peg. He has it comin', man.

V. Girls at Work

The past few days I've noticed something that still feels a bit strange to me. When I was an addict, any time I got a new job, I immediately tried top get a feel (figuratively) for all of the women in the workplace; which ones I was attracted to, which ones I could fantasize about, etc. But this new job is quite different, in that I haven't found myself sizing them up. It took me a few weeks to figure out why it felt a little weird to be around the female staff members at work, and I finally figured out that it was because I wasn't objectifying them. I know it's all due to my addiction recovery and God's continuing Grace, and a large dose of perpetual vigilance on my part, but I thought I'd share that with you guys. It's a victory I wasn't expecting, mostly because I never really thought of it as a fight before. Cool, huh?

VI. Gran Torino

What great movie. Here's a little video for you guys to watch about it. It's a wonderful film - go see it if you can, or rent it or Netflix it or something.



That's all for tonight, guys.

438

3 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Excellent post. Especially:

II. Reconciled relationships: eternal vs. earthly

That (reconciliation) is a topic left untouched by most. Paul even says we have been given a ministry of reconciliation. How cool is that? You have a lot more insight into what reconciliation means than most people I know. I think it would be fun for you to study that and write about what you find. That was a not very subtle hint there, sorry.

You gotta quit talking about FOOD like that. It's like reading "A Painted House". Good grief I miss that kind of food. I can make it, but it's not the same outside of Texas.

CindyDianne said...

Oh Ian, I was SO sad about missing last nights dinner - you have no idea. I had popcorn instead. I think I am actually feeling sorry for myself over it!

Ian said...

No worries Cindy - we'll hook you guys up double for next time. I hope Kent is feeling better. (He sounded awful.)