Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Oh, the things I learned yesterday



Things are gonna be different here, man.

I have spent the last seven years of my life looking backwards instead of forwards, creating my own stagnation through my speech instead of declaring the vibrant life that God has planned for me, and generally letting my own doubts and fears dictate my direction instead of walking out what I claim I believe about God.

Sadly, I just "got" this yesterday instead of 20-something years ago.
Fortunately, I just "got" this yesterday instead of 20-something years from now.

Now, I would like to point out that I was right. I believed that life was doomed to be a constant, never-ending struggle, full of hardship and strife, a constant struggle not to die, starve, or wallow in misery.

And I was right. That *IS* the reality I created for myself and for my family. I can take my trophy and bask in my rightness. I was right. I win the award for being right on that one. Man - I love being on the moral high horse and being right.

Now, it's time to be right again.

I am no longer defined by my past, man.

I am no longer an addict - that doesn't define who I am.
I am no longer divorced - that doesn't define who I am.
I am no longer broke - that doesn't define who I am.
I am no longer lazy - that doesn't define who I am.
I am no longer hung up on my ex - that doesn't define who I am.
I am no longer a victim - that doesn't define who I am.
I am no longer broken - that doesn't define who I am.

GOD doesn't define me by any of these things.
GOD has a plan for me.
GOD isn't a liar.
GOD tells me to take up my mat and walk.

Remember the story about the guy that got lowered down through the ceiling by his friends so that Jesus would heal him? God didn't tell the guy "Hey - you're healed. Now stay on your mat and bitch about how you were lame for so long."

No - Jesus told the guy to get up and walk.

I'm ready to walk, man. I've stepped off my mat, rolled it up so I can carry it with me, and now I'm ready to walk.

I'm ready to just not do things I'm going to have to apologize for later.
I'm ready to have personal responsibility in addition to grace.
I'm ready to treat my wife & kid like it's her last day on earth.
I'm ready to speak and declare blessings instead of curses.
I'm ready to expect blessings instead of curses.
I'm ready to believe what I believe.
I'm ready to be part of God's plan instead of just watching it.
I'm ready to listen.
I'm ready to follow.

I'm ready to walk.

Things are going to be different, man. I expect Great Things from a Great God.

See - if we're made in God's image, then I think we have certain attributes that He also has.

Take Genesis: When God speaks, he creates. Let there be light? BAM! Light.

Now, if we're created in God's image, why is that different for us? (Deity notwithstanding) Can we not create our own little worlds in much the same way?

If we say life is hard and sucky and full of trials, tribulations, death, dysfunction, poverty, sin, and failure......guess what happens? I believe when we speak that over ourselves, we curse ourselves to live that life. And that's counter to what God says for us to believe and do, and if God says one thing and we live our entire lives like He either didn't say it or it's simply not true, isn't that just calling God a liar with every action we take?

BUT

If we choose to walk out what God commands to believe and do; expect great things from a Father who loves us, expect bread and not scorpions, eggs and not snakes, blessings instead of curses, a plan to proposer us and not harm us - what unlimited happiness, joy and blessings can await us?

I'm gonna walk that way and find out. Quit looking back and move on.

971 (and odds are I'm gonna quit counting when I hit 1000)

4 comments:

brian said...

You argued with me a lot about this before. I can't express to you how grateful I am to see you write this:

I am no longer an addict - that doesn't define who I am.

If I were you, I'd write that again and again if it already hasn't sunk in yet.

Praise Him.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Praise Him indeed!

FYI - God listens to us when we pray and then He answers. Big Time.

That's one of my favorite stories in Mark. "Take up your mat and walk!" What an amazing picture of the power of Jesus Christ to transform us.

I wish I was less than 1000 miles away so I could give you a hug.

Pony and Petey said...

This goes at the top of the list for favorite blog posts of all time!!

You are AWESOME, dude and our God is AWESOMER!!!!

haitimom said...

You have no idea how happy I am to see what you wrote. Many never see reality so clearly. Often I have said that a man cannot walk down the road of life looking backwards. Leaving the past behind us, we walk forward into what God has in store for us today. Walk in the newness of life son.

dadpp