Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm so depressed I can't even blink



I had such a happy blog all ready to go, too.

I was in a great mood until I found out that Atmos Energy (Hey, Atmos - screw you) won't turn the gas back on until Monday. They shut it off yesterday - I was late on the payments, no problem there. I deposited the funds & they cleared, and I paid it all up to date this morning. I got my confirmation number, and, based on several shuttings-off with the phone company, the electric company and the water company, I assumed that they'd turn it back on. This was a foolish decision on my part, evidently.

At 7:00 PM the water is still cold, so I call them to see what the problem is. They tell me that I didn't ask to have the gas turned back on.

Of course - how stupid of me. What was I thinking? Any idiot could tell you that paying the bill means that I no longer desire service.

I hold my temper and ask them if they could please turn it back on. They said of course, after I make a formal request, pay another service deposit of $90 and a $65 reconnection fee, they will be happy to turn it on the next business day, which is Monday. I ask (plead) and tell them that this is my weekend with my kid, and I'd like her t bathe in warm water and eat off clean plates and wear clean clothes - and can they please turn it back on tonight, or at least tomorrow? I'll be happy to pay the $155 first thing in the morning. Again - they say no. Monday. Two other very polite calls produced the same results, and a not-so-subtle inquiry regarding a gas leak report yielded the same outcome - Monday.

Now I understand my culpability here, I really do. I know it's my fault for not paying it faster - I get that. I find their obtuse nature a source of irritation, though. I figured that if somebody were to accidentally strike the gas meter with their car they might come out then, but the Bronco wouldn't start.

I went outside with a town chain and got my wife's 4X4 all the way up to the gas meter before I realized that what I was about to do might impact other people, such as my neighbors, the fire department and the local police. Toni pointed out that this wouldn't have made the problem go away, but after calming down ever so slightly I came to the realization that I *COULD* go overboard and do something crazy, and the knowledge that i could yank out the gas meter with the car made me feel better to the extent I have decided to have mercy on Atmos and not do it. I have decided to be the bigger person and not destroy at least one meter and compromise several hundred yards of line. I'm doing it for my neighbors, not Atmos. Be thankful, Atmos. I could have gotten back my deposit and reconnect fees very easily tonight. I suppose that feeling that I had some control over my situation helped, even if my only options are A) taking it or B) making it exponentially worse. At least I have choices, and I feel better knowing that.

There. I feel better now. Much better, in fact.

Boy - I sure can get angry, huh?

3 comments:

haitimom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
haitimom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.