Thursday, August 6, 2009

Part II - The Article

(The article is in italics.)

Mom & Dad - read at your own risk.
You folks who know me - take all of this with a grain of salt.

"Virginity pledges. Chastity balls. Courtship. Side hugs. Guarding your heart. Evangelical discourse on sex is more conservative than I've ever seen it. Parents and pastors and youth group leaders told us not to do it before we got married. Why? Because the Bible says so. Yet that simple message didn't go very far in shaping our sexual decision-making."

Yeah - 'cause that works. Even if you put a woman in a burka, guys are still going to fantasize about what she looks like naked. Zero of this worked for me. I grew up hearing about how I shouldn't have sex because the Bible said so, but that wasn't a good enough reason for me. The first opportunity I had I jumped at. I knew (intellectually) what I was doing was morally wrong according to every scripture I'd ever read, ever sermon I'd ever heard, every Sunday School lesson I ever sat through and every church camp I ever attended. "Because God says So" wasn't a good enough reason for me, and once I had experienced it, I couldn't care less, because I loved every second of it, and Billy Graham, Chuck Swindoll, Bob George, Tim Stevenson, Dawson McAlister, DC Talk, Any Grant or Stryper was going to be able to talk me out of it.

"So they kicked it up a notch and staked a battle over virginity, with pledges of abstinence and accountability structures to maintain the power of the imperative to not do what many of us felt like doing. Some of us failed, but we could become 'born again virgins.' Virginity mattered.

Born Again Virgin = made it OK to have sex. It's a church-sanctioned mulligan, and it removes at least consequence for having sex. Why abstain when you know you can go back to church, confess, cry, repent and know that everybody (including God) is going to forgive you, thereby removing the aspect of God-given conviction in the face of knowing and intentionally sinning against God?

"But sex can be had in other ways, and many of us got creative."

We were already creative, man. People have been coming up with some pretty inventive ways to get the experience and/or sensation of getting laid since the stone age. I found every way around the no-intercourse rule I could.

Then they told us that oral sex was still sex. It could spread disease, and it would make you feel bad.

Hah - I never felt guilty at all, man. Not once. And yes - I considered oral sex of any kind "not doing it". Only intercourse "counted" to God, and to the church. Any time I was told how bad it was I disregarded it entirely. I love(d) oral sex just as much as intercourse, too, and if I could get away with that guilt-free so much the better. By the way, this is a great selling point when trying to round the bases and stay guilt-free. I've met one woman that was able to stand her ground, man. One. Unfortunately, my experience has been that church-going girls are just as sexually active as the non-churchgoers; they're just more likely to feel guilty about it later.

'Sex will be so much better if you wait until your wedding night,' they urged. If we could hold out, they said, it would be worth it. The sheer glory of consummation would knock our socks off.

This, unfortunately, is a complete lie. I've had (and continue to have) great sex within the confines of marriage, and (in the past, before my second marriage) I've had some spectacular sex outside of marriage, too. Sexually speaking, there's a lot to be enjoyed either way, if you choose to allow yourself to enjoy it. There's a lot about sex they don't tell you in church, man, especially how much fun it is, and how much you'll enjoy it, even if you're having sex with somebody you're not married to. I know I've enjoyed it every time, with every person, often times so much so that I find myself unable to forget, even when I want to, because a part of me doesn't want to forget, and will never want to forget it. 'Cause I loved it, and part of me always will, like an alcoholic loves every drop in the bottle. I remember every face, every body, every curve, every touch, every taste, every smell, every sensation about these experiences. I can still get high remembering them.

Something else they don't tell you is that sex isn't always like porn, or, in the absence of porn, the fantasies you have in your head. These are the basis for the expectation that the folks (especially guys) have. They (we) have a preconceived notion of what sex is going to look like, sound like, feel like, smell like, and taste like. And let's face it - if it's the first time you've ever had sex with somebody (even moreso if one or both of you is relatively inexperienced) odds are it's going to be at least a little disappointing to at least one of you. Sexual experience generally means better sex, man - experience means something, but they don't tell you that in church.

"It might sound like I devalue abstinence. I don't. The problem is that not all abstainers end up happy or go on to the great sex lives they were promised. Nor do all indulgers become miserable or marital train wrecks."

Pretty much, yeah. My first wife and I didn't have intercourse before we got married, yet we got divorced five years later. I know one couple that were pure as the wind-driven snow and they didn't make it. I know couples that were screwing like rabbits before they got hitched and they're doing fine, and have been for years. If you want my opinion, the act of sex has very little to do with how long your marriage will last. I think the most important tenets of marriage (commitment, communication, spiritual compatibility, etc) operate independently of the sexual aspect of marriage, though sex is usually a good barometer of how the relationship is doing.

Anyway, that's how I feel about the article. I've had to go back and re-edit this several times already. I could (and want to) say a lot more, man. I've opted for restraint here, but it's difficult for me on several different levels.

527

14 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Great thoughts, by the way. You need to talk to young people at your church.

Yeah, no one wants to talk about sex because we think it will get kids thinking about sex. Um...they already are.

God doesn't want us to have sex outside of marriage because it messes things up. It does. Sex connects people. Makes the two one. It's sex that does that (any kind of sex, mind you) not the vows. It bonds them in a way that was designed to enhance a relationship. God made it to feel good and for good reason.

I agree that people need to be really honest and clear with kids when it comes to sex. I guess maybe we're afraid it will reveal too much of our own issues. Not sure. But we will lay it out for our kids.

Saying, "Don't do this because God doesn't want you to" only works if the person is in a deep love relationship with God. They want to obey god becasue they love Him and they love Him because the know him. Doesn't work the other way. We want obedience without the heart attached - like our kids are little soldiers. Doesn't work.

You weren't implying this, but I don't think we shoudl just expect our kids to have sex before marriage. Some don't, and they are better for it. Imagine being married and the only sexual memories were with your spouse? That would be wonderful. And that's what the Lord wants.

Great post.

From Carlys Eyes said...

Be careful when implying that because Nathan and I had no experience in sex on our honeymoon night that it was not a night to remember. We can both say that it was one of the most powerful amazing and satisfying nights of our lives.

Brandon I would disagree with talking to students for multiple reasons. Ian I cant say this post shows a whole picture of empathy for those in all sexual and non sexual relationships.

Ian said...

I don't think I implied anything about you or Nate.

This post wasn't about empathy or relationships, either - it was only about my response to the article, which you can take or leave.

I know firsthand how hard it is to recover from a relationship with somebody you're having sex with, but empathy have won't save anybody from the consequences of their actions.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Hey Kim!

You make a great point, especially regarding 'experience' in sex. Sex in marriage gets better as the YEARS go on. It takes lots of time. Sex outside of marriage can never equal the depth and meaning and connectivity that it has in the context of a loving, God honoring marriage. One of the chief joys of being newly married is figuring out your sex life together. Our wedding night was wonderful as well, despite our lack of experience.

You have more experience with youth and counseling than I do so I will withdraw my suggestion and think about that a little more. I do wish, however, that someone would have been more frank with me regarding the physical side of dating relationships. I was dumb and needed some kind, direct wisdom.

It is entirely possible that truth and reality were communicated to me and I simply chose to ignore it and thus forget it. I honestly can't remember.

Keep up the great work in PA.

From Carlys Eyes said...

Ian, you would be surprised how far a little emapthy can go. I have seen men and women fall to their knees in front of the Lord when a little empathy is shed to them from a good friend. I have seen parents have huge realizations and students talk for hours because of a little empathy.

Although yes you may know the hardships of that type of relationship remember that it is your path not mine or anyone elses.

I agree with brandon that more needs to be discused on the real issues of sex while dating, during marriage, before the vows and such but I also wonder how many really listen.

I cant say that Nathan is any different from any other youth pastor I have met he talks honestly and openly about sex and the advantages and disadvantages of it for when and where and what happens. Although he has often been tempted to tape down all the kids and make them listen to what he and/or others have to say on the subject sometimes the natural consequences of it are what the kiddos have to learn. We as adults can only do so much.

I would argue this post has alot to do with relationships as that is how God made us. Sex is the ultimate and final way to seal the marriage. You would not have these things to work through if sex had nothing to do with relationships and we would have all had a much better dating life.

Ian said...

I'm often not in a position to write about the folks I'm empathetic to. The people I sponsor come to mind, as well as those in my 12-step group, and several folks I choose not to write about for a variety of reasons, none of which are your business.

I would also say that as a recovering sex addict myself I am able to empathize more with addicts than someone who is not. Formal education does not always replace experience.

I know empathy from both ends, and when, where and to whom I choose to apply it it my business, and not yours.

I've never said any of this was a blanket statement to everybody. I can only write about my experiences and my opinions from my perspective. Assuming I am capable of writing authoritatively from any other viewpoint is foolish.

If you choose to insert yourself into my stories, interject yourself into my words or assume I'm talking about you when I'm not, I'm not responsible for whatever suppositions you choose to make on your own, especially when you appear to base whatever thesis you're developing on conjecture and speculation instead of fact.

Chrissy said...

Am I missing something? I didn't think she was attacking you, Ian. But your reply was rude and I don't think she deserved that.

Ian said...

OK

From Carlys Eyes said...

I didnt realize i was hurting you, apparently I was not approaching this the wrong way. I pictured us more of hanging out in a coffee bar talking about how we felt versus at opposite sides of the boxing ring. I think i will take a rest from commenting on your blog for a while agian. Thanks for the responces.

From Carlys Eyes said...

that first sentance should read "i was approaching this the wrong way"

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

I didn't find your reply rude, Ian. I think you are only speaking from your perspective. How we choose to respond to your perspective is our problem. Not yours. I don't know that more education is the answer though. I'm not sure what the answer is, but things that are often considered taboo, tend to be the things that kids experiment with the most. The kids that drank at home in HS with their folks were those less likely to drink as much in college.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080306190911.htm

I really believe that people think if they just don't talk about it, it won't become a reality. Ergo the parents/church just tell kids don't do it. And then we wonder why.

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

Oh, one other thing I just thought of- I should totally be out saddling a colt right now instead of commenting, but here goes.

Sex before marriage is a sin, just like lying, speeding, cheating, lust etc. The church likes to pick and choose which sins you'll get really hammered for. I know a guy, who is a "pastor" and has been to seminary and thinks he's just a wonderful Christian whose car has been out of inspection for a year. He's already gotten one ticket for it. If all sin is equal why does he not feel guilty for that, but would feel guilty about having sex before marriage. Sometimes the church just really pisses me off.

Brandon and Jenny said...

One comment I would make is that while all sin is sin, not all sin is equal in its effect on us and other people. Having my car out of inspection, while a sin in that I am disobeying my government, is not as destructive to me or other people as having sex with a person outside of marriage.

Ian said...

I see your point, Jen. I agree with your principle, too.