Thursday, August 20, 2009

ending with a brief moment of higher culture



I've been thinking on this whole "putting the cop job on a pedestal" idea. I think I'm definitely doing that, and sort of making myself miserable in the process. I didn't know that I was doing that. I suppose it's another example of how you don't know what what you don't know. I don't think that I had realized how much I was clinging to that, and how much it was taking my focus off of the rest of my life.

I feel like I've lost focus of the things that are good in my life; my wife, my daughter, my friends, my health, (arguably) my cats, the vacation (Honeymoon Part I) we have coming up in a few weeks, you guys get the idea. Though my existing job doesn't pay well, I do have a job, and I'm grateful for it, and it's a darn sight better than not having any job at all. I sometimes forget it takes a while to work your way up to something more substantial, and I think I've only been there less than six months anyway.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make here was for the first time in a long time, (or maybe ever) that I realize (both on an intellectual and emotional level) that I don't have to have a cop job to be happy, and I'm OK with that for probably the first time since I was 23.

I couldn't really get past the fact that while I knew (intellectually) that the possibility existed for me to be happy without a cop job, I didn't know how to act on that knowledge. It also bothered me rather badly that I didn't have an answer for my initial question. I think that is, at heart, a control issue I still have that I need to continue to work on. I suppose, technically, I still don't have an answer to my question, but tonight I'm not sure how much I care about it anymore. I guess that could be an answer in itself - the fact that the question no longer means enough to bother you. I've had a lot of questions like that in my day, man. Sometimes they go away, I guess, at least for a while.

Anyway, while I was driving to work I got to thinking how this may have been one of those life obstacles you don't know is an obstacle until it gets to the point you can't see anything else. It ties into my attitude of "what has God done for me lately?" I know I'm very guilty of forgetting, man. I know I'm still very guilty of wanting what I want when I want it, and screw waiting, even if God won't (or, most likely - can't) give it to me until I figure something out that's the key element of receiving the joy from that thing, which may indeed be the ability to be joyful without that thing.

Realizing, mostly from people who A) can see it and B) love me and C) have earned the right to speak that kind of truth to me, that I have gotten my priorities out of whack has already proved very helpful, man. I feel a lot less stressed, I feel like I an think more clearly, and I feel like I have a renewed picture of God again, thanks largely to learning (or re-learning) that He continues to work in my life even when I feel like I'm struggling, failing, or just not a part of His picture. I think He continues to use my shortcomings and character defects to bring me back to Him, and to teach me that He's still not really mad at me after all, even when I'm being testy, which is most of the time lately.

Anyway, that's the end of the part where I talk about me. The rest of it for my brother; it's a father & son euphonium duet, from George Bizet's opera "The Pearl Fishermen".

A little background on this piece, before we begin this one, if you don't mind...

On the coast of Ceylon, a newly elected leader of the little world of fishermen, has scarcely been inaugurated when a long-lost friend of his youth, appears. After greeting one another with affection, they recall the time when they were foolish enough to quarrel over a beautiful priestess in the temple of Brahma. In the duet, "Au fond du temple saint" the two men sing rapturously about falling in love at first sight with a beautiful woman as she was revealed to them for an instant in the dim, incense-clouded temple. For each it was an almost mystical experience. When they realize they were in love with the same woman, they are alarmed. Believing themselves cured of the old infatuation, they swear eternal friendship.

And now, the words......

It was in the evening, in the air cooled by a breeze. The brahmans, with faces flooded with light, slowly called the crowd to prayer. At the back of the holy temple, decorated with flowers and gold, a woman appears - I can still see her!

The prostrate crowd looks at her amazed and murmurs under its breath: look, this is the goddess looming up in the shadow and holding out her arms to us.

Her veil parts slightly. What a vision! What a dream! The crowd is kneeling.

Yes, it is she! It is the goddess, more charming and more beautiful.
Yes, it is she! It is the goddess who has come down among us.
Her veil has parted and the crowd is kneeling.

But through the crowd she makes her way; already her long veil hides her face from us.

My eyes, alas, seek her in vain!
She flees, but what is this strange flame which is suddenly kindled in my soul! What unknown fire is destroying me? Your hand pushes mine away! Love takes our hearts by storm and turns us into enemies!

No, let nothing part us! No, nothing! Let us swear to remain friends! Oh yes, let us swear to remain friends!

Yes, it is her, the goddess, who comes to unite us this day. And, faithful to my promise, I wish to cherish you like a brother! It is her, the goddess, who comes to unite us this day! Yes, let us share the same fate, let us be united until death!


And now, listen, if you'd like.



Anyway, that's it for tonight. I wanted to get my head clear of all of this, so I can sleep, which I need because We're taking the kiddo to DFW Airport to welcome the troops home. It'll be fun, and I want our daughter to experience that. I think it's important to remember, ya know?

540

6 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Man, I worshiped to that this morning. How wonderful. Thank you, Ian, for that. You really helped me start my day well. Goodness that we just wonderful. And I had never before seen a 5 key Euphonium. That would take some getting used to. Absolutely beautiful.

Jenny and I were talking last night about BabyM not eating and how gut wrenching it is trying to get her to eat. If she's not hungry, she won't eat cookies or ice cream or anything. And it hurts somewhere physically at the deepest part of our being when she's not eating.

Last night I was particularly having a hard time with it and Jenny just said, "I'm done being eaten up over it. We're doing all that we can and it's up to the Lord to help her."

A friend of ours had said something on her blog about it and the truth she spoke had released her from that worry and anxiety and whatever that feeling is deep down on our gut. So we were talking in the kitchen while our son drank the milkshake his sister refused and how little we were trusting the Lord with our daughter, whom He made and loves more than we do. And we thought about how it's no different than you wrestling with providing for your family (an equally heavy burden) or giving up your dream job. It's hard.

We struggle with trusting the Lord too Really trusting Him and taking our peace. And during that struggle, we thought about you and you were an encouragement to us in how you continue not to give up. Some days just not giving up is great.

Anyway, just so you know, your missionary brother (who also graduated from seminary ;-) struggles like you do and gets encouraged by you in your transparency. We're proud of you and we love you.

I read a great proverb that you are demonstrating. Dont' worry, it's a good one to do:

Prov. 20:18 (The Message)
"Form your purpose by asking for counsel,
then carry it out using all the help you can get."

I like that a lot. Also, if you get a chance, I read Psalm 38 yesterday and it sounded a lot like something you could have written. You will definitely relate to David in it.

brian said...

We're all guilty of forgetting, maing. Which sucks because I find myself always in a better spot not only spiritually but also in general attitude whenever I *do* remember to parse through all of the things that I've been blessed with and just thank Him.

Especially things that I know I had fervently prayed for in the past.

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

You sound a whole lot better today. That makes me smile!

verification word: tintri

haitimom said...

So happy some of the "fog" is beginning to clear. we all go through it. I did think of you a couple of days ago when I read Ps. 13:2. David asks: "How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?" Fortunately we know the "rest of the story" as far as David is concerned. You dad and I pray for you and your brother and your families each morning (at least we try to)
So glad to hear you and Toni took Audrey to meet the troops coming home from the war. That will be a memorable experience for her.

KB said...

Ian, in the whole spirit of that glass bein WELL OVER 3/4 full (I hate that half full/half empty crap, we live in Texas where we git to carry guns and use them) I know this is a stickin point but you do OWN an AK-47 vs. a M-4. That AK is most arguably the best assault rifle in the world. Please keep in mind it is me typein all this, ok? You know I loves me a M-4 too. But, Is it the trickiedness of the M-4? All that sexy stuff you can bolt onto it, or is it the 5.56 that gits your blood pumpin? If it is all the nuts and bolts after market thingies you should check out all the rail systems they make for them AK's. Ask them SEALS, Marines and other Elite troops and they have nothing but Respect for Sir AK. It has kicked ass all over this here world. My Dad and Uncles swear if the US had AKs in Vietnam we would have a whole different chapter in our history books...
If it is the gentle touch of the 5.56/.223 that gits ya goin, it is a whole other subject...
If I wasn't me I would feel bad for not havin better insites like all the good folks who comment here.

Thank God I am me!!!

Oh, p.s. here
Give me a shout, wanna talk more cop stuff with ya, got another Idea...

Steven said...

AR's are way more accurate, but AK's are more reliable (and the ammo is cheaper). I've seen slow-mo video of an AK firing and the whole thing flexes horrendously - the guy testing it against an AR couldn't even hit a standard silhouette target at 200 yards with the AK.

I'm thinking the new GAS PISTON versions of the AR platform that everyone is coming out with may succeed the AK-47 as the "best assault rifle in the world". With the Gas Piston modifiction, you get the best of both worlds - the accuracy of the AR combined with the reliability of the AK (because with the piston, you're not getting all that exhaust crud blown back into the chamber until you finally get a jam from the build up).

Plus some companies are starting to produce AR's with fully chromed bolt assemblies and chome lined upper receivers where the bolt rides. Apparently this results in a rifle that barely even needs any lubrication applied and is super easy to clean.

Oh, and by the way, S&W just came out with a .22LR version of their M&P15 AR that sure is tempting given the scarcity and price of .223 ammo.