
I have no "street cred" whatsoever. I don't think I ever did. I can't use cool slang phrases without sounding foolish. I've decided that I'll probably never really be "cool" again, and I think any efforts I expend to that end are likely to prove fruitless. I do think I need to seriously make my peace with that, though. I have to admit - I still want to be cool.
I still want a cowboy hat for when I go tubing on the river, though. I have no illusions I'll look cool wearing it, but if my wife likes it I'll get it.
I think a lot of it comes from working with teenagers at work. They seem pretty cool, and I catch myself having to fight attempts to fit (a little) in with them, as stupid as that would be, both personally and professionally, but I still catch myself wanting to fit in. I think it speaks to a deeper need (or want) to be liked and accepted.
It's weird (to me) that I still struggle with that from time to time. I don't need to be friends with any of the people at work. I'm very happily married, and have zero interest in any kind of intimate relationship with anybody else. I have my daughter, my wife, my CR buddies, my munkies, my blogger friends (hey - you guys didn't think I wouldn't count you guys, did you?). I feel pretty good and secure with who I am and (mostly) where I am 99% of the time, so why, every once in a while, do I still want everybody to like me?
I think everybody struggles with that from time to time. I think it's in our human nature to want to be liked. I think it's how we're wired to function. I don't think we're hard-wired to function in solitude, even though we try. I think we need to make sure that we're keeping and strengthening the connections that are good and healthy for us, and keeping the rest of 'em where they need to be. I guess that's just common sense, huh?
I was gonna share something that Toni and I were laughing about a few days ago, but in retrospect there's no real point. I suppose I don't have to share everything everything, huh?
Anyway, that's what was on my mind tonight. "Army of Darkness" just came on, so I'm done.
520

2 comments:
Ian, git the hat early and git use to wearing it so you are not fiddlin with it all down the river. This would be a sure giveaway that you bought the hat just to ride down a river in it, which is certainly not cool. Think of all the tourists who visit the FTW Stockyards, buy a hat to go with their plaid shorts, then spend the rest of the day messin with it, until throwin the stupid thing in the trunk to be forgotten...
Army of Darkness is cool. If you disagree, sorry. Coolness had eluded you.
Post a Comment