Thursday, July 23, 2009

Today's thoughts (Wednesday night)

Tonight we took our daughter on a short ride on her new bike. It was nearly 45 minutes of encouragement, cajoling, threats, tears, whining, crying and frustration, as she was pretty terrified of her new bike.

Until she did it.

After she got it, she was all smiles again, and basking in her victory.

I guess part of being a parent is being hard on your kids when they need to be pushed a little further than they want to go, and you know it's ultimately good for them; they need the expansion, the experience, the knowledge that they can do it. The lesson I wanted her to learn was simple, and I kept repeating it over and over, in between telling her that she wasn't going to have to go it alone - we were right alongside her the whole way, and we weren't going to leave her. I told her we don't quit or give up just because it's hard. She told me that back several times as she rode her new bike home, leading the way.

I think it's a hard job, being a parent, and it makes me appreciate my parents even more. Most of all, I could not be prouder of our daughter. I know it's a small thing, but I hope she keeps that lesson close to her heart. If she learns that one, I think it'll help her out.

You guys can find whatever analogy to God might be appropriate. there's a few, I think.

Have a wildly unrelated cat.



512

No comments: