Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The wife's down for another 17 minutes



Ah - we never have enough time to do all the things we want, huh? I've been listening to brass & scream trumpet almost nonstop for two days and I'm antsy to play. Problem is it's nearly ten at night and the wifey is trying to nap, so that's out. I figure I'll knock todays's blog out while the genius that is King of the Hill is on. Tonight's episode is the one where Bobby gets dumped by the vegetarian girl. It's glorious.

When Toni wakes up we have 3,000 tests to make. I already made about 1500 today, and that'll put us at halfway. I'm gonna try to ship this bad boy next week and the following two big ones the week after, which means some biog cash ought to start rolling in pretty soon after that, and none too soon.

So today we spent some of our evening working on Code Name Diamond's bike-riding skills. I did a little skateboarding on the side, but I'm not as good as I used to be. The balance is still there, but I'm about 80 lbs heavier and not nearly as flexible, so I'm unwilling to try about 90% of my old tricks. Anyway, she's getting a LOT better. For a short while she was doing this thing where she screamed when she rode, but she gave that up today, which is a teeny bit unfortunate because it was really funny to watch and we were hoping to get it on film. Instead we just shot video of her improvements biking, which makes me pretty proud. She made the observation that "Whatever you're looking at, that's where you'll go", but the best part was when she said "You know what? Just because it's hard doesn't mean I'm giving up."

Sometimes your kid can assuage your "Am I doing a good job as parent?" anxiety better than anything else.

I think that's about one of the best things you can hear from your kiddo, if you ask me. Anyway, here's the video we shot today. Forgive the wind - it was blowing pretty hard. She's just about got it, I think, and after a few more practices we're going to ride to the pond and feed the ducks. She's going to love that, and we're going to love taking her.



On a totally unrealted note, I was gonna fuss about another TV commercial where a guy runs on what appears to be milk, but I saw another one that made me forget that one. See, there's this line of deodorants and body sprays for boys (and I use that word intentionally) called AXE. Basically, all the ads sell is the notion that AXE will gt you laid. I can't say it any more plain than that because that's basically all there is. I hate those ads, and I think I only know one guy that uses AXE that's not a total....well, nothing nice. Anyway, yesterday I saw a commercial that makes fun of AXE and their (predominately 12-19 year old male) demographic, making the point that adult men desire a vastly different set of criteria from whatever skin-care products they might use. As I've had a long-standing (if wildly unreasonable) grudge against AXE (and by extension, those who use it) I loved it. If you guys wanna see it lemme know and I'll post the link. It's great.

Oh - my wife's up. Time to get back to work :-)

413

4 comments:

haitimom said...

What a difference from the time I was there and she was so terrified. I did not want you to continue to push her but I am so glad you and "mom Toni" kept at it. I am a very proud grand-mother. Aurdey's mimi

Brandon and Jenny said...

Oh my goodness she's doing great! MAN I wish we could see her in person. She cannot be that tall! Knee pads and a helmet. I'm amazed I survived childhood.

Nathan said...

You know...reading this headline I thought you had knocked Toni out.

Brandon and Jenny said...

(This is Jenny) Please tell her how proud we are of her! BoyD loved the video! Bring her to come and see us as soon as you can! :)

And I hate AXE, too. It is men projecting how they behave onto women. It's how they wish women responded...They are sooo wrong! Those adds just make me cringe. The only funny one was when the spray turned the guy into chocolate. That was a more appropriate reaction from the women.