Wednesday, April 29, 2009

For Wednesday....



I'm just about ready to shave my head bald again. So far my wife has managed to persuade me to keep the top part, but the sides & back are down to the skin. It already feels colder, but the rest of my scalp wants in on the coolness as well, and she can't hold out forever. Odds are the first really hot day I have to spend running eight projectors in a poorly ventilated booth will be the day I break.

We reached a compromise on the new gun vs. honeymoon issue; I can buy whatever I want after I have the honeymoon fund paid up and locked down down in cash. I'm fine with that. I've gotten the easy parts nailed down already - getting the gun nailed down was a lot simpler than getting the honeymoon trip all planned, but I'm bound and determined to make our honeymoon damn near perfect, which means scheduling it when it's best for us to take the trip and get the most bang for our buck. So that's settled. Oh - and the gun is this.


(It's the one on the lower right-hand corner)

Code Name Diamond is grounded for the week - she got busted telling a fib about finishing her homework. She said she did it so she wouldn't get in trouble. Geez, man - did she learn that from me? Not only can I think of a few times when I've white-lied in front of her (and those are the ones I can remember; odds are I did it countless times that I don't specifically recall), I can very clearly remember being told that this would happen, and that she would have learned it from me. I guess they were right, if that's indeed where she picked it up. My dad always said that your kids learn a lot more than what you intended to teach them. I hope she didn't get that from me, but let's face it - where did she see it first? She learned it somewhere, right? Or is that (lying) just a normal part of being a kid? Either way, I'm sure there's some vindication out there somewhere.

I remember I used to lie to keep myself out of trouble pretty regularly; in my mind it was easier than being truthful and honest and either hurting somebody else's feelings or disappointing them, but of course in reality all you're really doing is undermining the relationship that you're trying to sustain, despite how hard you try or how good your intentions may be or how much you love the other person. But it sure has a painful set of consequences, and I hope that maybe I can spare my (our) daughter some of those by doing my best to teach her right from wrong on this one. We've already had some pretty serious come-to-Jesus talks on this; I'm hoping that something starts to click in her little head earlier than it did mine. Your 30's is a poor time to figure out that lying isn't worth it. I'm hoping she opts to learn it the easier way than to finally reach the conclusions after the consequences of lying have become so unbearable that you have to change your ways, and by the it's usually too late anyway. going through recovery will generally knock the lying out of you, especially the lying you do to yourself. The one person that you generally can't fool - not forever, anyway - is yourself.

Aside from that. not much else is going on, other than the cats are becoming more and more interested in the shower when we're in it, and we finally got one person we owed over $900 to all paid off. That is a big relief for everybody involved.

Anyway, that's it for tonight.

434

5 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Just a friendly reminder:

This, "I'm just about ready to shave my head bald again. So far my wife has managed to persuade me to keep the top part, but the sides & back are down to the skin. It already feels colder, but the rest of my scalp wants in on the coolness as well, and she can't hold out forever. Odds are the first really hot day I have to spend running eight projectors in a poorly ventilated booth will be the day I break."

Is where you can show her that her desires are more important than your own.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Oh, one more thing...why do you need another gun?

-or-

Just becasue you want one, does that mean you ought to get one?

KB said...

Ian, I know the relief you are feelin, we recently paid off a $2,000 debt. It is great to have that one gone. So do y'all have a destination in mind for the honeymoon? Let me know when ya git the M-4 and we will go bust some yotes!

Ian said...

My wife likes me bald, too.

And I've been waiting five years to get this gun, because I want it. I refuse to go my entire life and never do anything nice for myself or refuse to reward myself for years of 50-80 hour weeks.

I am worth it.

Brandon and Jenny said...

"My wife likes me bald, too."

Oh, well, in that case, go Kojak.