Monday, April 20, 2009

The Downside of Business Professional



So - here's what's been up.

Code Name Diamond is officially off super-grounded status, which she earned by:

A) Failing an assignment because she refused to stop talking
B) Getting caught coloring on the school building (with chalk) - by the principal
C) Getting a teacher's note sent home, saying she didn't and "forgetting" about it until Sunday night....

....all in one week.
She spent the weekend vacuuming, washing windows, cleaning her room, and bagging tests. I think the gravity of being grounded hit her on Sunday when she couldn't go play with the kiddos next door. It's simultaneously sad and funny watching your kid vacuum and sniffle sadly at the same time, but I think she learned her lesson. I hope so, anyway. We're running out of ways to punish her short of spanking. We're taking her to the theater on Wednesday to see a movie, and she's going to get to see all the projectors and behind-the-scenes stuff before the movie, and afterwards she'll get to actually fire up the projector and start a movie. It ought to be fun. It's always better when your kid behaves and gets to do the fun stuff.

I went hunting with Kent and his buddy Robert north of Denton. We heard several hogs but a very thick fog rolled in after a few hours and obscured our view further than 15 yards or so. We had fun anyway. I think I giggled the entire night - they're both funny guys and they had some great stories. I think I learned more about hunting in those few hours than I did in the past several years. I'm gonna try to drag Bri along next time, too. I want to see him blast a hog with that .444 Marlin at night - it'll be like the Nazi's shooting flak over Berlin in 1943. I brought my AK but I didn't use it until we tried (halfheartedly) to call some coyotes. I ended up carrying my Springfield M1903 after I was informed that the hogs could reach up to 400 lbs, and I didn't want to leave anything to chance - it's effective up to 1000 yards. If you're staring at a 300 lb boar, it's nice to be carring a rifle that has that kind of punch. I need to make another trip to the gun range in a few weeks and sight 'em all in again, plus I want to try some 12-gauge slugs as well, and I need to see where the ghost rings sights line up on my shotgun past 25 yards. But I digress....

Today I was work and was training an employee when I lost track of time and forgot to start two movies, which I had to start late after opening up the projection window and telling everybody in the audience what had happened. They seemed forgiving and slightly entertained by my embarrassment. Apparently it happens to everybody at least once, but it was pretty mortifying. My boss was bemused, but I don't think I'll be letting that happen again.

Speaking of work, I've noticed something rather unpleasant recently.

Most of you guys know I generally wear flip-flops or my Converse All-Stars - both of which breathe very well. I've gotten rather spoiled over the last seven or so years in the footwear department, and it's had to come to an end wit the new gig. I'm wearing a pair of black leather dress shoes to accompany my required coat and tie. However, I've discovered that leather dress shoes don't breathe, man, and by the time my feet have spent six to eight hours running around in a pair of black polyester dress socks they're quite appalling when I get home. This is a new experience for me. I have dubbed the phenomenon The StinkFeet. My wife was the first to discover this awful transformation, which I can only assume haunts all of us business professional guys out there whose feet spend their days in dressy prisons. It makes me miss my old, faithful (not to mention well-ventilated) canvas sneakers. I love those shoes more than ever.

OK - I'm going to wrap it up and watch a movie with my wife and got to bed at a reasonable hour.

426

11 comments:

brian said...

I'd love to go, tho I'm pretty sure that will be the only shot any of us gets. Blinded by the cone of flame, etc. *(:=

pair of black polyester dress socks they're quite appalling when I get homeDude. There's your problem, right there. I'm not sure who buys poly dress socks, but I can guarantee you one thing - their feet stink. Assuming they spend a good workday in them, anyway.

Right next to the poly dress socks at marshalls or kohls or wherever you get your socks they have the same thing in just-as-thin cotton. Polyester doesn't absorb sweat. Your feet basically just sit in a sauna and marinade in sweat. Cotton absorbs and wicks the stank. It won't fix this problem, but it will help.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Also - foot powder helps. You can buy that anywhere and inexpensive. Although don't use too much (not that you ever over do anything) or it will make StankCakes. At least in theory it could.

Nathan said...

Oh boy did I have some of those humbling projection experiences back in the day.

I remember forgetting an entire showing and the people just left.

From Carlys Eyes said...

some runners let a small fan run on their shoes just after a long run, or they switch out shoes every run. Sweat/water actually deteriorates the inside of a shoe so ridding your shoes of that excess water will help them last a bit longer...and maybe they might smell a little less???

KB said...

We had a good time too Ian, nuce to have new ears for our stories. Tater is defiantly funny and knowledgeable. We are thinkin about tomorrow night, with a day of trail snare building in that haller where the pigs were cruising. Your buddy will defiantly have to come along. Also, I'd skip the 12g slugs in favor of #4 or larger buck.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Maybe we can plan a hog hunt in December. How do you see at night to shoot??

Of course I have no longer have a firearm...such a tragedy.

Ian said...

Kent - give me a call if you guys go back out and I'll see if I can pul it off.

Brando - you still have your 7+1 Mossberg here; I've been taking good care of it. Some good 00 or 000 ought to do you just fine.

KB said...

Ian, I think I am gonna miss wed night due to bible study. Will let ya know when we go again.

Brandon, we will have to plan one! The best way to shoot at night is night vision, course I don't have the extra $4,000 to git one. So what we do is scout, lay out corn and bait, then when ya hear the crunchin ya git ready to fire and flip on a spot light. Ask Ian how loud them pigs git.

CindyDianne said...

y'all GO hunting and I actually SUCCEED in hunting, if only in my back yard. I win. Just sayin.

Anonymous said...

Cindy is right. I think the boys and the girls should go hunting and see who does better.

I'm not bad with a long gun myself. :)

Brandon and Jenny said...

Oh good. I love that Mossberg. Although the barrel ain't too long, with 00 or 000 buck as long as I get it in the general direction, it ought to work.

I'm sure the pigs love the light. I can only imagine teh scene after being in the dark:

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! *lights* BLAM!

"I can't see or hear. Are there any boars?"