
Toni & I worked about a 14 hour day yesterday trying to put a functioning office back together so we can get back to work. Toni actually put in a 21 hour day yesterday, because I'm going to count aerobics, running errands, cooking, cleaning and helping me with several dozen pleas for assistance as work. Today I shall scrub the toilets in return, and for once she get to sleep in a bit while I am up puttering around. And I have a quiet house, to boot.
When it's quiet you can hear the ceiling fan blow the air and you can hear the birds chirping and singing outside. It's nice, it being all quiet. The loudest thing I hear is the tapping of the keyboard. I think I'm gonna try to stretch this quietness out as long as I can.
All the furniture we posted for sale is gone. We used most of the money to help pay back payroll and for food, and are keeping a little for clothes and for Toni to get her hair done, which she deserves to get, especially since she cuts mine and does such a great job.
I think we've started praying more together, and what I mean by that is that we pray together every night before we go to sleep, and our prayers have become more deep (does that make sense?) and I feel like that my attitude has improved a bit, and that I'm more thankful & cognizant of the things that I need to be thankful for, like food and shelter and my wife and daughter. When we said grace before dinner (which was salad, BBQ sausage, ranch beans & sweet corn on the cob dripping with butter & salt - all prepared by my wife, by the way) I wasn't able to stop at thanking God for just the food, ya know? Afterwards, I jokingly said that I'm starting to sound like my brother - not that that's a bad thing.
We only have three rooms left that I feel like are out of control, and Toni's going to knock two of those out today while I get the remainder of our shop/lab set back up. I don't anticipate another 14 hour day, but I didn't anticipate one yesterday, either. I am slowly reaching the conclusion that I have little or no ability to judge how long anything is going to take. If you had asked me how long it would take for me to get my own little personal office set up, I would have told you seven hours. I think I can do the rest of the lab/shop in two hour, so I'm hoping to be done in four, and I know I'm going to have to leave some stuff undone, which I usually don't like but am OK with today, as my folks are coming back into town tonight and I'm sure they'd like a ride home, especially after we said we'd pick them up. It'll be slightly more crowded for a few weeks, but I think it'll be OK.
And finally - it's supposed to be cold & rainy tonight, and tomorrow we'll have highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's. Today it'll be in the 80's, as it has been for several days now. It's been glorious, but this weather makes no sense to me whatsoever. I was hoping it'd be nice for my folks when they got back, but since they're here for two weeks it might still, and after coming back from Haiti they might like a little bit of chill and crisp in the air, as Haiti is about like Houston that way. Or so I've heard and decided to compare, anyway. Hot & Humid.
OK - somebody is running a power saw outside. My quiet reverie is over.
386

1 comment:
I hope you don't sound like me. That would be boring. I bet when you pray, you sound like a son of God talking to his Father. And that would be a very cool thing to hear.
But I deeply appreciate the compliment.
I heard you were all going to Fudruckers and I'm REALLY jealous. Enjoy it. Oh sweet, wonderful burgers. Lettuce you can eat. Drool.
FYI - don't try to let spell check fix "Fudruckers". Goodness.
Post a Comment