Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day Three



OK - here's what I've learned so far:

Part I - I think I need to read my Bible more.

Last night, my brother asked me this question:

"if you dread reading his word, you might ask yourself why that is."


So I did, and I came to this conclusion.

I think the Bible is boring - that's why I don't read it. I like fiction and good storytelling. Now I know that the Bible is chock-full of stories, but they're not as fun for me to read as Lonesome Dove. Secondly, I feel like I've heard it all already. I think I've heard it all taught before. I feel like I know what all the answers are, so I don't see the point in spending a lot of time reading something I find dull, predictable, repetitive, sappy, overbearing, and generally a waste of time. To me, it serves no point to spend time on it.

Now - don't give up on me yet. I read it anyway, and I got a different experience than I had expected. I didn't get some big spiritual awakening, but I sure felt more relaxed afterwards. Hey, man - I'll take that, ya know?

When I re-read my brother's post from yesterday, he also said this:

"You know what other people have told you it says. But you don't know. If you knew what it says you would want to read it more."

I have to admit, that's true.

I know what Dave DeWitt has told me it says.
I know what Bob Wilkins has told me it says.
I know what Charlie Oldenberg has told me it says.
I know what Woody Woodward has told me it says.
I know what Tim Stevenson has told me it says.
I know what Dave Semmelbeck has told me it says.
I know what Mike Messerli has told me it says.
I know what Brent McKinney has told me it says.
I know what Hank Hanagraff has told me it says.
I know what Chuck Colson has told me it says.
I know what Bob George has told me it says.
I know what Pat Robertson has told me it says.
I know what James Dobson has told me it says.
I know what Tony Evans has told me it says. (I should listened to him more)
I know what my brother has told me it says.
I know what Celebrate Recovery has told me it says.
I know what Toby Slough has told me it says.

You get the idea, right? But Brando has a point - I've spent right as jack squat reading it for myself, and I think I need to change that.

See, what I think I've done is equivalent to sitting in front of the TV, not turning it on, and then bitching when I don't get any information. Additionally, since I'm depending on TV to give me the directions that I need to live my life, I've been running around in circles a lot of the time trying to guess what I think the TV would tel me to do, or trying to do whatever anybody else tells me is on TV. I think if I turn on the TV, look at the screen and listen to whatever comes out of it, then I might be a little less frazzled.

That's good information to know.

Part II - I should stress less about serving

My friend Zach said this:

If someone can find a verse that says, "Make sure you find a place to volunteer at your local church," please post it, but I haven't seen one.

I've been running in circles for several days (or weeks) trying to figure out where I fit in, like there's some kind of Ian-shaped hole at my church I ought to fit perfectly into. So far, I haven't found that hole. But I think that's OK. I think God wants me to serve Him whenever, however, with whomever as I'm able and not worry so much about whether or not I'm doing "His Will". I don't think God sweats this as much as I have been lately, as long as I'm helping out when and where I can. I don't think I'm necessarily restricted or limited to serving at my home church, though I'll continue to look for someplace to serve.

Part III - God might use me differently than I think He will

My friend Brian said this:

"People told me when I was going through a rough patch that maybe He put me through that so I could minister to others in that situation. So far I haven't found that to be the case, really."

Hey - God may not use me to minister to divorced people or recovering addicts or broke people. I kind of expected that He would, but so far He hasn't. He might not, but I'm not going to worry about it any more - I'm just gonna trust Him.

Part IV - Joy does not come from service, but I think service comes from joy.

I think I need to work on getting the joy of my salvation back - then I don't think it's going to matter what or where I'm serving.

And I think odds are I can get a lot of that back from reading His word, which I can do, now that I have a reason I can wrap my head around.

Anyway, today's blog was really long - thank you for getting to the end of it. I hope some of this makes sense.

I'm kind of hungry, though. Did I learn enough to eat yet ;-) ?

352

1 comment:

Zach said...

On point III: Someone else pointed this out to me (Can't remember who): Paul, with his experience as a Jewish leader and his knowledge of the law and basically just who he was, was a "perfect" candidate for bringing the gospel to the Jews. It was like God had set up Paul's whole life so that he could craft the ultimate emmisary to Isreal. Except that God sent Paul to the gentiles. It seems that your experience is not what you have to offer people. Pointing them to Christ what you have to offer them.

Word verification: Blegan (noun): One who only eats bland vegan foods.