Friday, October 10, 2008

No blog today....



....as I have wedding stuff to do. Rehearsal dinner, tuxes, etc. Nothing last-minute about me, huh?

Before I go, though - I got these today from one of my accountability brothers:

________________________________________________

If you have been living to please everybody else or constantly trying to fix everything, rid yourself of that false sense of responsibility. Yes, reach out to others. Yes, be kind and compassionate. But make sure that you're keeping yourself happy. After God, you are your first priority.

"On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel . We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our heart." ~1 Thessalonians 2:4
_________________________________________________

Oh, man - I wish I had learned that about 25 years ago. (And you Pathways people oughta appreciate that one, huh?)

And I got this, too.
________________________________________________

When you're in peace (serenity), you have power. When you're at rest, God can fight your battles for you. Many people wear themselves out, frustrated because they don't have the job they want, upset because a child won't do right, worried over a health problem. No - turn all that over to God and be willing to go through tough times with a good attitude.

"I will strengthen them in the LORD and in his name they will walk,: declares the LORD. "
~Zechariah 10:12
__________________________________________________

I agree wholeheartedly. Without serenity, you're generally in a lot of trouble. At least I am.

Fortunately, God sure has given me a lot of it lately. :-)

See you guys on Monday.

239

3 comments:

brian said...

After God, you are your first priority.

I dunno. I don't buy that as an absolute statement. If nothing else, that's fine when you're single.. but not so much if not. I think you can find an awful lot of passages making us not the point/important.

Brandon and Jenny said...

I think Brian has a point there.

Studying Psychology I found most of it to be "me" focused. My self esteem, etc. It seems to me the serenity thing (if I understand it right, which I may not) is about knowing your place before God. That no matter what, no matter what other people say, etc, God loves you and that's enough.

But the point that gets hammered home in the Bible is that we take care of ourselves so that we can serve others. But if you don't take care of yourself (i.e. commit time to walk with God so that He can strengthen your inner person by His Spirit), then you will pretty soon get beat down and run out of juice.

I think that's what you mean - make sure you remain in a dependent relationship (abiding in the vine)with Jesus before you go and try to help other folks. Loving/serving/helping people can only flow from the Lord through us.

Or maybe I totally misunderstood all of that. Would not be the first time.

Unknown said...

...I don't have your phone number, either...