Friday, January 8, 2010

CTD weirded me out



I am a big fan of Cheaper Than Dirt. It's an online store, a retail shop, and a mail order catalog. They sell gun accessories, military surplus, camping stuff, and my topic for the day - "survival gear".

I was poking around in the catalog for a picatinny rail mount for Toni's .38 when I stumbled across this little gem. Here's some excerpts from the ad:


Basic 30 Day Emergency and Survival Kit for Four People Includes Food, Heater, Radio, Water Filtration and More - Our Low Price: $2,399.97

The movie 2012 describes what could potentially happen on 12/21/2012 based on the end of the Ancient Mayan calendar....

....According to the calendar we are now in the Fourth and Final age.....

....what if all the electronics suddenly stopped working, an asteroid struck the earth, sunspots erase magnetic stored data, a flu pandemic effected millions, would you be able to survive with what you currently have....

....The reality of 2012 seems far fetched, but are you prepared for hurricanes, earth quakes, extended power outages, a wide spread pandemic, or turmoil from the Middle East?....

Perfect for at home or the office, there is enough basic survival gear for a family of four for 30 days, these are good to have on hand for natural disasters or the 2012 phenomenon.


For the record, I'd like to point out a few things here.

After the Pearl Harbor invasion of 1942, how long was the area a disaster?
After the OKC Bombing in 1995, how long was the area a disaster?
After the Sept. 11th attacks in 2001, how long was the area a disaster?

The answer, in every case, is this: more than 30 days.

Now.....

Just in case one of the aforementioned events the ad describes does occur, or as many 2012 folks think - THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT ENDS - I have but one thought for you:

Nothing you can buy, stockpile, or prepare for is going to be enough to outlast that.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that (in flights of lottery-winning fancy) I've occasionally pondered the one or two of these kinds of kits, though I tend to stop short of building myself a compound out of buried school buses in the middle of nowhere. My trust in the government, myself, and even my friends and family is pretty small in the face of the apocalypse, man - it just is.

The real question for me is this: Do I really trust God, even in the face of the world itself ending?

Oooooo....that's a scary question, isn't it? Nobody really likes to answer that one and be real about it. I know I don't. The though of the world ending scares the hell out of me, man. But am I prepared to say that I trust in God enough to take care of all of us?

I want to say yes, but part of me still wants to buy that kit.

Don't get me wrong - I feel like I tend to trust in God, though oftentimes it's because I have no other choice, so it's by default or lack of options that I often embrace that faith. Is it wrong for me to say that I'll trust in God if the world ends, but I'll still be scared and I'll probably trust Him because I can't do anything else? I've been in that situation before, I guess, and it's always turned out OK, but I guess I have to be really honest with myself and say that in the face of the world ending, I don't know that I'll have that level of spiritual maturity. Odds are I'm just going to wet myself and then pray/beg God for the survival of my family.

I suppose I could get another blog out of this and go into preparation vs. faith, too, but it's been done to death. If any of you guys know a verse that says trust in God but stock up for the apocalypse I'd like to see it.

Anyway, thanks for reading. This was a weird one, and I'm not entirely happy with it.

679

1 comment:

Mike McM said...

A shift in thinking may be a better answer to "trust" and the world's end. Giving God the thanks in all that He is doing to protect you and your's now, makes trusting Him for your future much easier. When we look back on our hard times and see the hand of God has provided for us, even though we had to go through the hard times. We can trust He will provide for us in the unknown future.