Sunday, December 6, 2009

Soundtrack



I was gonna write about this last week but I ran out of time, and then I forgot about it until yesterday.

I know that in just about every piece of entertainment we see today there's a soundtrack of some kind; music meant to augment the intent of the author or artist. It's designed to draw that extra bit of emotion out of us; to wring the last little bit of joy or sadness or excitement out of our hearts and really cement that connection with what's going on. A good soundtrack is really powerful, and can make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, or make you shed a tear from the upswelling of the emotions evoked (or in some cases just plain ripped out of you) a a result of the music. Good stuff, man.

Well - the point I'm trying to make is this. If the most talented of us, as humans, can create that kind of heart-level reaction to music, just think what God is going to be able to do with it.

I think everybody has some piece of music that just does it for you; something that just makes you want to laugh and cry and jump for joy and bow your head all at the same time. For me, it's drum corp stuff. I think it has been for nearly 20 years. Blame marching band. The ground-pounding thunder of the drums, the deep, dark (awesome) foundation of sound generated by the low brass, the beautiful mellowness and rich color of the baritone and tenor lines, and the stratospheric energy and showmanship of the sopranos just nails it. Everybody's got something, you know?

Whenever I hear certain pieces of music, I think to myself along the lines of "When God returns from heaven and descends to earth in the clouds, this is what it's gonna sound like" or some such thing. I never tire of it, and it gets me every time. And if that gets me here on earth, I can't wait to hear the good stuff when He returns. Hopefully He'll let me play with them. I mean - can you imagine?

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about. Ignore the name - sometimes you just don't have the words to adequately express the depth of your emotional experience yourself, and sometimes near profanity sums it up well enough, if not quite as appropriately as you might like. If you want to skip to the good part, just cue the music up to about 2:25 and let is play. Listen to the crowd noise, imagine the clouds parting, and see if you feel anything, too.



I'm a pretty firm believer that God created music, and that the stuff He has in store for us ought to be pretty good stuff. There's a lot of references to music in the Bible, and it talks about drums and trumpets and cymbals and stuff, so I think God's a drum corp fan. I'm just sayin'

647

1 comment:

Pony and Petey said...

Chills-ville, Dude...totally way cool beans! It especially sounded nice on my new computer with some kind of souped up sound card or whatever. Thanks for posting!