Monday, December 28, 2009

The Fluff



I used to want a ferret when I was a kid. I wanted a pet monkey for a long time, too, until I found out that monkeys are capable of (and apparently fond of) unspeakably rude behavior. While I readily acknowledge that I'm not a whole lot better myself, I would like to think that not only would I not choose to engage in such appalling acts of such atrocious vulgarity, but that I would refrain from bring said actor into my home, much less paying several thousand dollars for the privilege.

I've decided that I'm pretty willing to live in ignorance and quit reading the news for a while. Fox News, CNN, the local news, talk radio - I think I'm done, man. How much bad shit can one person stand to hear over the course of their lifetime?

I think that first paragraph is sticking with me for reasons I either don't understand or don't want to acknowledge. You guys ever write something that inadvertently meant more to you than you meant it to? I'm gonna have half my brain noodle on that while I continue.

My Mom & Dad are flying back to Haiti on Thursday morning. While it's been tough on occasion during their stay, it's hard for me to even consider the thought of weighing the benefits vs. inconveniences of them being here vs. then being gone. As much as my Mom clash from time to time, it's sure been nice having her here. It's been great having my Dad here, too, though we don't seem to bump heads as much. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I worry about them (at least a little bit) the while time they're not here, though I know both are capable and resourceful. It's just that Haiti is such a train wreck, and I don't like the fact that I can't shield them from the danger inherent in the rampant ignorance and the carelessness and wild recklessness that dominates that island. I know it's a control thing with me, too. Whoever said that "the safest place to be is doing the work of God" was full of shit. God makes no such guarantees.

On a good note, the cats have finally adopted their scratching post as one of their playgrounds. It's nice to see.

1 comment:

Brandon and Jenny said...

I'll miss them too. I wish we'd had more time with them. Maybe we can convince them to visit us in Guatemala!

I think the quote is, "The safest place to be is smack dab in the middle of God's will."

It all depends on your definition of "safe".