Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday's Roundup



Yes - the kittens have discovered toilet paper. We can no longer keep it on the roll, no matter which way we face it. Somehow, in their kitten voodoo ways, they figured out a way to unroll it even if it's kept in the underhand position. One of them a shaman or something, I swear. I blame Pumba - he's the quiet one.

You know - I'm a little envious of the cat & the kittens. Especially the kittens. To them, their whole life is a game; a free-for-all where they play all day long without a care in the world. No worries about money, food, relationships, housing, shelter - everything is a grand game, or a challenge to overcome, or an obstacle to circumvent, and they seem giddily happy to engage. That's something to covet a little, I think. Oddly enough, I think that's a pretty good image of what God wants for us in a way. I think it's harder for us sometimes, though.

I bought one of those laser pointers for $2.50 at Walmart last night. With three cats (and two of them kittens) hilarity ensued. One flag, my ass.


So last night we went to register for our wedding stuff at Kohl's and Walmart - and now I need to go and remove about 50% of what we registered at Kohl's for because we found the same (or better stuff) at Walmart for substantially less. We didn't register for much at all, really.

While we were in Walmart, one of the employees was having some kind of domestic dispute with his apparent girlfriend. He looked all of about 19, and had his the collar of his shirt up and his little baseball cap on sideways, every bit the cocky, arrogant white kid I (unfortunately) despise upon sight, mostly because that used to be me. Anyway, his girlfriend had busted him in a lie about being with another girl, and he was trying to weasel his way out of it (which I also can spot a mile away because I was a pro weasel, too) and when that didn't work he went down the car audio aisle and turned up the stereo really loudly (to obnoxious gangsta rap, I might add, because apparently he's from the mean streets of Trophy Club) so he wouldn't have to talk to her anymore. When that didn't work, he started cussing her, saying F-you and calling her a bitch. What a jerk, man. Toni tried to talk to her to make sure she was OK (and I was hoping against hope he'd do something squirrley to Toni so I could thump him senseless and give him the beating that he so richly deserved - and that I also deserved at that age) but the girl didn't want any help - she said everything was OK.

Uh-huh. When is it ever OK for somebody to call you a bitch in public, honey? That's a dead giveaway that it's not OK at all.

Anyway, we did the best thing we could think of, and called the manager and let him know that his employee was using abusive and profane language against his girlfriend loud enough that his customers could hear it. He quieted down after that, but I sure hated to see all of that play out, ya know? It was sad, and it made me angry to see a girl verbally abused like that. What kind of stuff does he pull when nobody else is around? I think both of 'em could a time-out.

OK - back on track.

When we got back, I went outside to water my trees. They are, by the way, coming with me if I lose the house, even though they'll be a bear to dig up. Anyway, after I had watered them, I stood there watching then water drip from the leaves and patter onto the wet earth below and I felt a profound sense of calm & serenity. I wanted to watch that and listen to that sound all night. I think I need to water my trees every night.

We're hitting snags with planning the wedding, but they're little ones; venue, timing, etc. It's become a little less traditional a little every week, but I couldn't be happier. It's all about the marriage - not the wedding. The wedding party will only have six folks, including the bride & groom, and we're cancelling any kind of formal rehearsal dinner. I think we might just go to Babe's instead. I also have an offical "Wedding Bouncer" too, which I am quite delighted about. :-)

I'm having another "open house" this weekend, on both Saturday & Sunday. We'll see what happens.

At some point in my sleep last night I rolled over onto my glasses (I've been sleeping on a pallet on the floor since I sold my bed) and mashed my glasses. I can fix 'em, but it's a lousy way to wake up. I have to re-evaluate when I take my Ambien to help me sleep. Once I pop that pill I'm pretty much out for the next 8 hours. I was hoping to get some kind of weird somnambulism effects, but I got nothing interesting except a good nights sleep, which I guess is even better, though not as much fun.

I'm getting to ship out several orders today, which will mean some more money coming in shortly. It's quite a relief. No news on the second (paying) job yet, though :-(

We finally got some rain today, and it was only 76 when I drove into work. It's a nice break from the heat. Know what else will be a relief? Having my housing costs drop from over $2300 a month to $400. That'll be a HUGE relief, I'll tell you what. Good GAWD - that'll make my life so much easier, man. Moving day is Sept 6th. Hopefully it won't be too hot. I shall provide ice-cold Shiner & hot pizza to anybody that wants to help, and trust me - it'll be a fast, short & very organized move. I'm already 25% packed already.

OK - that was a lot longer than I thought it'd be.

CR tonight, than a lot of packing afterwards.

Oh - and feel free to take Pony's suggestion and caption that last pic from yesterday's post. It's too funny to pass up ;-)

183 - OOOOH! I get to pick up my 6-month chip tonight. Cool!

See you guys on Monday - and have a great weekend.

No comments: