Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesday is.......Tuesday.


Well, since I have nothing to write about today, I shall elaborate on what I know about scooters, which is not much.

I had one when I was 14, and I drive it every day until I was 16 and got my license. I even drive it some afterwards, too. It bought me a sense of freedom that I really needed. It worked out great because all you needed to get a license for it at 15 was to go to the DPS office and take a written test. As long as the engine size is 50cc and below, all you need to legally drive one is a quick written test and the necessary insurance. Back in 1987, my insurance was $52 a year, and I could fill up for about $1.

I had a Honda Elite 50-S, and I never had a problem with it. It ran for years, and had a top speed of about 45 on a good day. My personal experience tells me that Honda makes a great bike, but that you'll pay for that quality. I've heard good things about Yamaha's, too. Vespas are also apparently quite good, but a little pricey, too.

The reason I picked this one is that it's large enough for me to move along the roads I need to travel on with the flow of traffic. I'd get another 50cc moped, but I'm about 75 lbs heavier than I was in high school, and I'll bet I could only do about 35, which would get me mowed down like an armadillo in FM 156. The one I selected is a solid 150 CC, with a weight limit of 325 lb, which I am nowhere near.

The dealer is a company based in Dallas - they're an importer for scooters made in China, which explains the super-low price. Let me compare them with Honda & Vespa scooters for example.

The Vespa S - 150cc engine: $4199
The Honda Elite 80 - 80cc engine: $2399
The GS Tracer - 150cc engine: $1299

There are more comparisons HERE

Here's the link to the company - GS Motorworks. They're an importer based in Dallas, and they have free shipping.

Now, to be completely, 100% legal on a scooter with that engine size, you'll need to go through the state's required (and very, very highly recommended) motorcycle safety course. By the time you graduate the course, you'll be certified to operate any motorcycle and have the equivalent of one year's operating experience.

However, could you operate a scooter with out it? Yeah, but the cycle-ed class is still the best way to go.

Are you safer on a scooter or motorcycle? No. People are crazy and nobody cares to look. However, you can see a lot better, stop a lot faster, and maneuver in ways a car can't imagine, so there are some trade-offs in your favor. Additionally, you'll likely be hyper-vigilant and very wary while driving.

And yeah - wear a helmet every time. It's the vertical fall that kills you.

Anyway, that's about all I know about scooters, aside from the fact that I still want one. I am unaware of any counter-zombie properties they may possess. More on that if it presents itself.

'Tis all for today, guys.

132

No comments: