Thursday, June 5, 2008

Props to NRH & other stuff

This would never happen in North Richland Hills.

Having spent a little time in what's known to the locals as "NRH" I've decided I really like this town. It's nice. It has nice parks, and it only has stores that I would actually go to. Lots of places to eat, and I only saw one Subway. Nice, wide main thoroughfares, not much traffic. Peaceful side streets. Snow Cone stands. Cool stripe kits on the police cars, and lots of cops to boot. No gunfire. Huge trees everywhere you look, and I didn't hear one train whistle, though I suspect they exist. Even the Taco Bell stuffs it's tacos with as much meat as possible. The worst experience I've had in NRH is trying to make a Pomeranian vomit by forcing hydrogen peroxide down it's throat because the little 4 lb furball ate an entire bar of dark chocolate, but if that's the worst thing that happens in that town it's a good place to live. (She made it, by the way, but just barely.) It just seems like a really nice town, and I wanted to give it it's due props. If I could move my house to NRH I'd do it in heartbeat.

What else? I slept like a baby last night. I haven't been that relaxed in a while.

Nothing new on the work front; it's slow until the rest of my stuff gets here, and this is the pokey time of the year anyway. I'll be able to pay off my '05 & '06 taxes, though, and that'll get the IRS off of my back.....for now. A few good orders have come in, and they'll be easy to fill. I love the massive orders, but they sure are hard to fill, ya know?

I think I'm going to start saving up for my M4A3 rifle and start stockpiling 30-round magazines. I'm never going to get one if I wait for the money to fall from the sky, so I might as well get it the old-fashioned way. I've made the jump from Bushmaster to Rock River, by the way. Tighter tolerances. And let's face it - if the Democrats win in November, they'll have control of the White House, the House of Representatives & the Senate, so it'll be nearly impossible to get one after that. You know it's true - remember what happened in 1994?

I have my daughter tonight and this weekend, and we made a List of Things To Do This Summer. It's quite long, and should be a lot of fun. I think we're going to portion it all out so we don't do it all the first week. I forgot how much fun you can have during the summer if you just put a little planning into it, especially when you're six.

I have to say - I feel like God is giving me a little bit of a rest these days, and it's nice. Maybe it's because I'm (finally) not fighting Him anymore and trying to make Him do it my way ('cause that works), and by actually letting go of all of the stuff I was trying to cling to I might be getting a taste of the life He had in mind for me all along. Food for thought, huh? Doing it His way sure seems a lot more pleasant in the long run, and doesn't end up with me in a really bad way. Regardless, I'm choosing to bask in the fact that everything seems to be going pretty darn well, and give thanks to the one who has given it to me.

I would also like to point out something I'm particularly proud of:

I'm actually in a relationship with a woman and NOT putting God back in his box on the shelf. (For those of you who don't know, this was my modus operandi for many years. Like 34 of them.)

That's progress, folks.

I do need to not miss any more services at church, though. I'm like 0-3, and that's no good. CR is great, but it doesn't take the place of regular worshippin', ya know? I'll be there on Sunday, I promise. You guys can thump on me if I miss it.

OK - back to work.

113.

3 comments:

Zach said...

Denton has free concerts on the Square every thursday throughout the summer. They're usually Jazz or blues bands or stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

I like NRH but it is very expensive to live over there, right? My sis lives there.

See and that is why you get a big dog like BD. He can eat gobs of chocolate.

What is CR?

And we have to make it to church more, too. We had to quit teaching Sunday school b/c we were skipping the service and only teaching.

And I love Denton.

Ian said...

Parts of it aren't too outrageously expensive, I don't think. Just regular 'ol folks in regular 'ol houses like I think we all grew up in.

Ah yes - the big dogs can handle a good bit of chocolate. I once knew of a rather spirited dog that ate nearly an entire chocolate pie and suffered no ill effects other than a slightly rattled owner.

CR = Celebrate Recovery, which is a Christ-based 12-step program.

Good for you guys making it to church more - I'll do it if you do it.

Denton is way cool. You guys been to Sweetwaters? I love that place...and Hooya's (when the trip to Freebird's is just too much of a drive.) There's a pretty good cajun food place on University, too.