Friday, June 6, 2008

For Friday, and for no more days of infamy.


Some days I'm becoming increasingly more afraid of my cat. Lately he seems more and more determined to take me down. He used to just pounce on my feet once and run away, but now he'll try a nice, high jumping hit three of four times in a row before he abandons the tactic. Last night while I was in the shower, I saw him try to jump from the bathroom counter onto a cabinet I have above the toilet. It was at least a four-foot vertical leap. His front paws made it but he was unable to grab on to anything, and he crashed back onto the counter. I was afraid to laugh out loud for fear of humiliating him, but it sure was funny. I helped him up there later on that night to help appease him and soothe his bruised ego - just to be on the safe side.

I stayed up doing laundry until about 2 am. I did take a break to sit outside on my little privacy deck and smoke my pipe a little. It was perfect outside. The wind did remove a 3X5 piece of lattice from the "roof" portion, but that's easily replaceable. I'm thinking about doing some kind of full-shade awning anyway, as the structure itself isn't really conducive to planting climbing, flowering vines, which was my original idea. What do you guys think? I know I can do the flowering vines on the next one, no problem.

Of course, my beloved daughter was bright-eyed at a little after 8. I was pretty bleary-eyed but did manage to get her fed. God bless Apple Jacks and Honeycomb. I forgot how much I like cereal. She's off with her grandma today and tonight.

I was surprised she slept in that late, actually. Last night we went to Clara's, where my daughter (who is Code Name Diamond, by the way) fell in love with Clara's little Pomeranian. I admit - I kind of have, too. It's just insanely cute, guys. It's like a puffball with tiny little feet and bright little eyes, and a bushy wagging tail and a little fox face. Plus it's not a yapper, which is huge points in it's favor.

We went to a local NRH park (there are literally millions of them, and they're all paved with gold) and fed the ducks before playing on the playground and getting snow-cones on the way home. We had a wonderful time, and Diamond seems to have really taken a shine to Clara, even though they're both still feeling each other out a little, I think. She (Diamond) was exhausted and fell asleep in the car, but managed to make it through a bubble bath (which I felt compelled to assign, as there was duck poop there, which I found incomprehensible in NRH) before closing the night out with "Peter and the Wolf" and "The Whale who Sang at the Opera" (or something like that). She slept on new t-shirt sheets, which she really liked. (Thank you Toni, for always being so wonderful to Diamond, and for letting her keep your DVD - she loves it, and it means a lot to her.)

I'm doing OK, all in all. No real struggles this week (save a dream I didn't want but that hasn't repeated itself - something for the CR guys tonight, I think) but if that's the worst thing that happens to me it's a great week.

I think that's about all for today, guys, except for this:

Remember that sixty-four years ago today, the main beach invasion of Normandy began. While the Allied troops were motoring towards the beachhead in their Higgins boats and troop ships, Allied paratroopers were already engaged in vicious combat behind enemy lines.

An oversized company of British glider troops from the Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry had seized control of Pegasus Bridge and were repelling German counter attacks. American paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne have already raised the stars and stripes above St. Mere Eglise.

While the Normandy Invasion was not the only battle of World War II, it was at the time, the largest invasion in the history of warfare. It was also a major thrust into Western Europe which led to the eventual liberation of millions of people.

Never, ever forget this, guys, and never, ever forget the brave soldiers that gave their lives on that day so that their fellow man could breathe the sweetest air of all - freedom.


I haven't forgotten, you brave soldiers, you mighty warriors, you men of valor, nor have I forgotten that which you gave your lives for. I hope the rest of America doesn't either.

114.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

"I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day, when he said; 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said, 'No, but I served in a company of heroes."

--Major Dick Winters, quoting a letter from one of his men.

I think that sums up the reason that "day of days" wasn't a tragedy. If you go back and listen or read of those men it's an amazing testament to their humility and love for the fellow soldiers.