Here's a few from Toni's camera.
This is at Toni's Mom's house.
Here's some of the stuff that blew off the back porch. The wind also toppled some metal lawn furniture in the back as well.
So here's a pic of all the branches we dragged out of the alley with Toni's 4X4 and a chain.
The front yard didn't fare quite so well. Apparently, a second storm blew in overnight and did took out a large section of this tree.
We lost a very large portion of a tree in the front yard. I'm a bit concerned about the rest of it, but not so much I'm willing to chop down a 30+ year old tree without being completely certain it's doomed, and I'm nowhere near that point.
So it was time to get to work.
It actually wasn't too bad. That Hatian machete was razor-sharp and quite heavy enough to slice through 1" limbs pretty effortlesly.
The brushy stuff was easy, but made a big pile. The city is gonna come and pick it up for free, and we don't have to bundle it.
I had to chainsaw through the thick stuff. Towards the end a neighbor with bigger, gas-powered saw came and helped out. He had the right tool for the job in the end, but our little 14" electric saw did quite well for most of it.
It was wet, sloppy work.
It could have been a lot worse - like these folks who lost two mature oak trees in one night. Those are pretty much irreplaceable, man.
Oh - and the house is unscathed, except for where BunnyCat threw up in my parent's bedroom. So there's that.
Tomorrow we're taking our kiddo to her first Ranger game. It'll be fun. She didn't seem too impressed initially, but once we told her about the Dot Races, the hot dogs & ice cream she warmed up to it. I think her & Toni are going to get matching hats.
While I wsa chopping and sawing this morning, I did reflect on the fact that the two trees that were uprooted were lost because they didn't have deep roots. There's an analogy there, people, so whatever your roots are, make sure they're strong enough to keep you from blowing away when the real storms come, and make sure they're deep enough to get ripped out from under you.
This weekend we have free HBO and Cinemax on the satelite network. Toni's gonna block it.,because she needs to.
Think about it. Anyway, I found out I have to replace the network card on the other computer, which isn't a big thing, but I've never done it before. Wah.
Anyway, I think that's it. I'l get to some of my struggles about not being a cop any more wnen I can use a real keyboard. This one is just too much trouble.
473

3 comments:
So glad no one was injured or no damange to the house. Tree doesn't look too bad either. Much to be thankful for. You and Toni did a great job of clean up. I know it was a lot of work. Thank You!! I bet Audrey had fun at the Ranger game. Wish we could have been there to go.
Thank you for the pictures.
Mom/Dad
(sorry about bunny cat, she gets scared in storms)
Wow. Again, praise God that tree fell toward the street. What a mess! I think that tree might make it, but I'm not there and you are. Trees can take a pretty good beating. It may grow back our from the wound. I'm not sure.
GREAT analogy with the deep roots. And I had Jenny block things in the states and I think I can block channels here in Guatemala. Good to know I have such great company. It's a GOOD fight.
I saw video of the other damage around town. It was so weird to see Tom Thumb with those light polls down.
Ian, I am back in town, and Toni sent me your way. You better call me if you ever need my mad fireman skills with the husqvarna! Got a 16" bar, carbide chain ready to work!! That tree will be fine, if you are too worried, go to the Depot and git that pruning stuff that is like tar in a can. Will seal up the wound and keep bugs out, but can also lead to trunk rot so only use it if ya must. God made them trees pretty smart. On other note, got a job interview with somervell county to be their trapper, if I git it we will have all kinda fun there on Fossil Rim Ranch!! Send prayers my way please.
Post a Comment