So I've fallen *really* behind in blogging. It's because my real computer is still busted and I hate typing on this teeny laptop keyboard, but I hate not blogging more.
My Mom is coming home for a month tonight. She'll be here for a month, which is nice. I'm going to try not to gain any weight, but it means I'm going to have to put some real effort behind it, and probably start riding the bike more.
A lot of unexpected folks come to you on Facebook as "friend" suggestions. Some of 'em are folks I don't want to talk to at all, some of 'em are folks I'm fairly indifferent to, and some are folks I'd like to talk to and be Facebook friends with but probably ought to leave alone for both our benefits. It's a lot like real life that way.
My mango went bad while I was waiting for it to get ripe. I missed my window, but it's not like I can't get another one. It's a mango.
*sigh*
So.....here we go. Let's get it out there and deal with it.
I know that God is a God of all; of making the impossible possible. Making miracles happen. Curing the incurable. making the blind see, freeing the captive - I get all of that; I really do. But I've had a crisis of some sort lately - let me explain.
As I think all of you guys know, I used to be a cop. I have never, ever really let that go. I've always said that if I could go back and do it again I would. I still regret turning down a full-time position with Dallas County in 1999. Now - here's the rub. I've been unable to get a full-time gig as a cop, man. I've been shot down by no fewer than 15 departments since 1995. I tried again last year to get hired as a jailer, only to get shot down there, too. I've been encouraged to try the federal route, but I have to admit - I'm tired of getting told "no", and I don't know how much my heart is in it when I secretly think the entire process (which is very, very long, tedious and arduous) is domed to result in yet another failure and rejection. After consulting (off the record) with more than one background investigator, most of the problem is stuff I can't make go away - my addiction recovery, and most notably a girlfriend I had when I was 20 - who was 16. That's burned me more times than anything. I have a permanent ban from one department because the polygraph showed deception when they began questioning me about my sexual history. To tell the truth, I was badly, terribly rattled when talking about it to a complete stranger, and after spilling my guts I was an emotional wreck. In the end, I wasn't ready to deal with some of the stuff I'd done, and the polygraph showed my inner conflict, and said I was lying. That was in 1996; when I was 23. I'm about to hit 37 - the cutoff age for a lot of cop jobs. So - what do I do? Do I keep trying?
So here's my questions for this:
A) Do I give up on my dream?
B) Is it just accepting reality?
C) Is it doubting God's ability to get me hired?
D) How do I know what God's will is for me on this?
E) Is it ignoring God if He keeps shutting the doors?
G) Why do I have this dream still - this deep, burning desire to function in that role? Why has God given me that passion yet sees fit to not give me the way to do it?
Professionally, I was never happier than when I was a cop. I was making $9 an hour in an old, run-down dirt-poor town with 12 streets - none of them paved - under a chief that wouldn't take me seriously, and a lieutenant that didn't like me, and working nearly 50 hours a week with no overtime. Yet (job-wise) I was happy, because I was living my dream out. I've never forgotten that.
So I guess I don't now what to do. Do I keep trying, or do I forget my dream, or is trying to move on and leave your dream behind to live in what seems to be reality just telling God that I don't believe He's capable of doing what I can't?
This has been weighing on my mind for a long time, man. Ever since I was a kid, all I ever wanted to be is a cop, but it sure looks like God has other plans for me. How do I reconcile that, or do I?
What do I do?
485
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hey dude...I'm really sorry for your struggle. I know what it feels like to be faced with saying good-bye to a dream.
Don't know if this will help, but it might, so I'm putting it out there for you to use or ignore, whichever feels best to you = )
#1 - My brother, John, is a very good runner. As in "the top 10 runners in Houston", always in the top 25 in the state of Texas.
Anyhow, for awhile, he was doing REALLY well and had amazing potential. But he was also running his own business...a one-man show...lawn-care. He had to put so many hours in to that during the warm months that he wasn't able to stay consistent with his training to be able to advance to the next level...pre-Olympic stuff, then who knows where that would've led.
One night, last summer, we were talking about this and I was asking him about his early running days and his hopes and dreams. The subject of the Olympics came up and he said something I will remember the rest of my life...
"THE DREAM EXPIRED"
It wasn't said with bitterness or remorse or anger at life's circumstances. It wasn't even sad resignation. It was just an accepting of God's will and a thankfulness for the local running success he enjoys now.
#2 - I also have a very clear memory of the day when I poured my heart out to God in dealing with infertility. This is the prayer I cried from my heart..."God, either give me a baby or take away this desire...PLEASE!!!"
I was desperate for some relief after years of the sad ups-and-downs roller coaster of trying for a baby and never having success.
The way that God answered that prayer was to prompt me, enable me to recognize and count the blessings of NOT having a baby. It wasn't so much that He took away the desire, but that He showed me that He could still bless me and I could still be happy in not having a baby, which was the path that He had chosen for me and Petey.
I will always feel that God gave me a very special, very personal gift in answering my prayer that way. It taught me a lesson that I can apply for the rest of my life.
When "the dream expires" count your blessings and accept God's will for your life knowing that He knows best and you will have JOY when you follow Him. That's the lesson I learned.
Hope this helps somehow... I'm praying for you, my blogging-Facebook friend!!!
word: dingized...sometimes people think I'm dingy (you know, silly... not like gray and washed out) so this comment is dingy-ized because I wrote it...hahahahahaha
Ian-
For starters Glad your Momma is commin home!
Facebook ugh. I have had a few moments of anxiety with my pointer hovering over confirm so and so as a friend. Sounds like you are taking a proper approach so far.
As far as what you feel bout bein a cop, I am right there with ya. Miss ridin the seat in my big red fire truck in a little backwards town everyday!
I have known for awhile I will never be a professional firefighter again, will just be thrilled to be a volunteer someday.
I encourage you to keep trying, keep applying to the jobs until you are past the age cutoff. I know no is hard to hear, but what is worse, Layin in bed at night knowing you were turned down or knowing you didn't try again and again? Besides time and gas money what does it cost to apply?
Can you be a reserve officer, then bump to paid?
Have you thought of other cop like things that would fill the void?
I am thinkin about instructor positions here. Another thought, would be teaching citizens gun stuff, where you could still protect and serve by throwin your experience in the curriculum. Just a few thoughts.
I don't think God will mind you pluggin away at this, as long as you are keepin your heart and ears open to what He is saying.
I struggle constantly with what I want to do vs. what God Knows I should do. Sometimes it is painful. I really do need to git better at listenin before He has to git drastic to gain my attention. Thankfully He is constant, loving, and ohhh so much smarter then I.
Man, those are some really good suggestions. I don't have a lot of wisdom to add. God made you with something that loves being a cop. What is it about being a cop that you love? Is it helping people, getting bad guys, driving cop cars? Maybe if you figure that out, you can find some options to give you an avenue to serve in that regard. *shrug*
Post a Comment