
Today we went biking. It was a five-mile trip to Sonic in 90+ degree heat. Our daughter managed to go the entire way successfully, though with a bit of whining, one rather fantastic crash that vaulted her over the handlebars (she ended up tumbling - uninjured, mind you - into some rather tall - and fairly soft- weeds) and one small collision with a tree. Overall, she did great job. After the ride we called Toni's brother Micheal to come and pick us up at Sonic, as we figured that none of us had the energy to cycle back - including me. Afterwards, we came home, changed clothes and went swimming.
After a pizza, our kiddo went to bad and Toni and I watched "UHF".
SUPPLIES!*
*not funny if you haven't seen "UHF"
I haven't called my cousin Steven to fix the computer yet. I mean, I did, and I was supposed to call him back several days ago and go over there and play a zombie video game with him but I haven't done it. This has been a lousy week to try to do anything other than work and spend time with my kiddo, and when I have the opportunity to spend time with her I tend to shut everything (and everyone) else out, and everything that's not her takes a massive second seat. I've been told it's over-reacting, but to my way of thinking, I lost a lot of time with her in the divorce. I don't get to see her every single day and tuck her into bed every night, and I try to squeeze every second I can get out of my time with her, even if other folks get shorted a little.
Unfortunately, that's not all of the story. My cousin Steven's wife and my wife had a pretty good disagreement several months ago, and we're all kind of just now starting to be cool with each other again, so I feel doubly bad about flaking out on him.
You know what, though? I have a huge track record of flaking out. It's been a pretty terrible problem I've had. I've flaked out on a lot of stuff, man. Paintball games. Dates. Commitments. Family events. You name it - I've probably not shown up to it. Sometimes it's really not my fault, but 99% of the time it is/was. I'm pretty sensitive about it now, and (now) it really bothers me when I do it, because I know deep down it's taking advantage of other's grace, patience and goodwill. It's pretty self centered and exploitative, I know. It's a pretty crappy thing to do, too. Ugh.
Of course, it would be easiest to stand up, man up and actually cal the guy, because all in all he's a laid-back cat. But truth be told, I'm being a total puss about it.
And it's another crappy pattern I have to break. Eventually, I'll run out of bad habits to break, right?
Aside form that, nothing much interesting today. I'm gonna smoke my pipe tomorrow. Oh - and I'm going to start wearing a bow tie at work. Probably a white one.
479

4 comments:
I have one for you...
The second time you came over to the Ponder house to watch a movie with me, you were 2 HOURS LATE! I believe you brought a case of green apple Smirnoff and fixed the clothes dryer as a peace offering. It worked!
Uh, you also offered to marry me that night- after a few.
"Uh, you also offered to marry me that night- after a few."
Hahaha.
He DID have a real, honest to goodness proposal, thankfully. I saw it on video!
Ian, every time I think I have some deficiency conquered a new one pops up that was there all along. I read this book that talked about our sanctification being a little like having a beautiful lawn all full of rocks. We and the Lord go about busting them up. Some are big old boulders that get broken down into smaller and smaller rocks and when we get done with the big ones, we realize there are lots and LOTS of rocks around. But it's good work and time with the Lord. One day He'll clean them all up, but the rocks remind us of out need for Him. Anyway...I kind of liked that analogy. Some days I just look at the rocks and wonder why there are so many.
FYI, kids get dehydrated quickly might want to keep an eye out for that when bike riding in 90 degree heat. You probably know that though.
Admitting you have an issue, is a great beginning to resolving it. Sometimes just three little words: "I forgive you" are very freeing.
I see you have fallen as behind on blogging as I have.
Have fun with mom there!
Post a Comment