I've been delivering pizza for 10 hours in icy roads, and I am very, very tired. I'm gong to go to bed in a minute because I have to do it again tomorrow, too, and maybe the day after that. It's apparently supposed to get outer-space cold for the next few days. I liked it better a few days ago when I could wear shorts.
The best part? Having a car with 4-wheel drive, elecronic stability & traction control, anti-lock brakes, the ability to downshift manually, and a really good heater. Thank you, Jesus.
The worst part? Having to get out and donkey-kick the fenders (they're plastic) to knock the built-up ice out from the wheel well. Tomorrow I'm bringing a rubber mallet and a hammer.
Number of times I've slid: too many to count
Number of near accidents: one
Number of times I've fallen: one
The tips are running slightly above average - I have no complaints. The generous are moreso, and the not-so-generous are, well...not. I will say this, though - it's truly humbling to get a tip from folks that you know are worse off than you are. Often times the spirit of generousity ignores socio-economic boundaries.
Worst Location: The parking lot of the restaurant
Best Location: Home
Things I learned today:
#1) Don't trust anybody to pack your order for you. Do it yourself, the double check it before you leave the store.
#2) If you drop an order of pasta and it flips over, you're still OK if it stays in the box, and the box stays in the insulated bag. Note: this does NOT work for pizza.
#3) People will still drive and text in very icy conditions. Give these people a lot of space.
#4) If you're driving in icy conditions, it's not necessary to turn your hazard lights on.
#5) Driving that long tires me out, so I'm wrapping it up.
Have a dog! In a fort!


No comments:
Post a Comment