Sunday, December 19, 2010

A few thoughts on the season....

I.  Music

I realize that music is entirely subjective, but just because a Christmas Song is old and a "classic" doesn't mean that, as a song, it's good. For instance, I dislike "Little Drummer Boy", because I think it's stupid. I dislike saying "pa rum-pa-pum-pum" ad nauseaum for a few reasons. First off, no drum in the world makes that noise. Secondly, it's silly. if you were to insert a man-made trumpet noise it would be equally stupid. Imagine this:

"Come, they told me! Wah wah wah wah waaaaahhhhh"

You can see where I'm going, but not before I make you think about it with a tube, a flute, a guitar, and a harpsichord to drive my point home.  It had to be done.

II. Radio

To KLTY 94.9 - a radio station: Please don't identify yourself as the real Christmas station, as opposed to those big phonies at 103.7, who have been doing longer than you've been around with their non-Christian artists singing those tried-and-true atrocities like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Jingle Bells" that have nothing to do with Jesus. I mean, no self-respecting Christian wants to hear about how Santa Claus is coming to town, right?

And please don't say that you celebrate Christmas all year long if you only play Christmas-themed music from the end of November until you stop on January 1st. It's off-putting and kind of snide. Oh - and just because a Christian artist writes a new Christmas song doesn't mean that:

A)  it's good
B) you should play it
C) you should play it again

III. TSO

I think that the Trans-Siberian Orchestra makes Christmas frantic and scary.

IV. Elvis - Part #1

If Elvis sang a Christmas song, please don't re-record it. It will not be better - it will be an insult to the King and nobody will find it "thought provoking" or "fresh". If you absolutely have to sing it, that is why God made the shower and the car ride to work.

V. Elvis - Part  #2

 If you are already a famous recording artist, please do not sing "duets" with dead people by recording a song with their voice in it to imply they are willfully singing with you. This is creepy. Bach will never play a duet with Jerry Lee Lewis, Louis Armstrong will neve play a duet with Chris Botti, and Elvis will never sing a duet with Winona Judd. Do you know why? Because they're dead, and using technology to circumvent this is creepy. History worked against you - deal with it and move on. 

VI. Athiests

I'm not entirely sure why you celebrate Christmas.

VII. Christmas Lights

Bigger is better. More is merrier. People like this, especially me. Also my wife. To the nuclear power plant engineer in Glen Rose whose house lighting is synched to several Christmas songs & accessed by a short-wave radio station: I salute you, sir. Well done. I think Jesus would totally dig your lights.


That joke won't make sense to you athiests.

Thus endeth my opinions for today.

On a side note, I've decided that adopt the perspective that God is saying "no" to several good things now so that He can say "yes" to some great things later. I do acknowledge that there's a teeny-tiny possibility that I'm either in denial about something obvious or that I'm missing a point someplace, but I think the odds are in my favor if I adopt the "good-no-now-great-yes-later" philosophy. Plus it makes me feel better, and it takes the stress off. Living in the stress of the "not yet" is a terrible place to be.

I wanted to thank all you guys for your comments. Keep 'em coming - they do help tremendously.

I heard it said that this time of year tends to amplify where you are financially, spiritually & emotionally. I couldn't agree with that more. I am happy to say that I believe that 2011 is going to be a lot different, and a lot better on all three fronts, and not just because I'm going to be working harder at all three.

Anyway, that's it for today. Have a cat!

4 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Thank you. You made me laugh a lot.

Pony and Petey said...

Seeeee...this is why you SHOULD keep blogging!! Just do this kind of stuff and way cool music videos that you find!!!

I love your wit and the way you write = )

I respectfully disagree with you on singing a duet with a dead person. Have you heard "Unforgettable" with Natalie Cole singing with her dad??? It's AWESOME!!! And I think Nat King Cole would be uber proud to be singing with his beautiful daughter from beyond the grave!! Just sayin...

= ))

brian said...

VI. Athiests

I'm not entirely sure why you celebrate Christmas.

Well, because it's fun to treat people nicely sometimes and it's also fun to give people stuff regardless of faith. And I'm sure some people like to get presents and the way our human society works (interpersonally*) you prolly have to give to get, so.

Related - have you seen this Steve Martin bit on Atheists' Christmas song? a capella etc. It's amazing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADNesm6F27U


* Does not apply to the the relationship between people and government. OOOO stinging social commentary.

Ian said...

Are you implying that athiests are living, breathing human beings that have real thoughts, feelings & emotions much like you and I?

I thought they were filled with a black, viscous substance instead of blood and didn't have hearts ;-P

FWIW, I'm all for the athiests having a wonderful Christmas, and I hope they get lots of presents, too.