Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ugh.

I am disappointed in today's blog. It feels like I just phoned it in. Truth be told, I'm insanely grateful for my second job as a bouncer, even if it has it's share of unpleasantness. So far it's given me money to buy food with, and those quarters I pick up off the floor at the end of the night really add up. I do appreciate them for giving me a chance, and I work really hard when I'm there. I'm grateful for the opportunity to have a few hours to block out the rest of my troubles for a while and just think about menial things, like picking up empties and sweeping the floor. In a way it's sort of like a hobby, and I do really enjoy a good tussle now and then. Anyway, I thought I could get a funny blog out of it, but I'm disappointed in the way it turned out.

Hmph.

Carry on.

5 comments:

brian said...

Nothing wrong with a bit of a gripe at drunk people. *q:=

I'm not one to claim I don't go to bars. But people *at* bars are often dumb/irritating/sad.

And I agree - if you're in a climate-controlled environment and you don't drink your beer at a pace that it gets tepid.. You have either drank too much already or don't really need to be there in the first place.

On the other hand, if someone tossed a half beer that might have looked empty, I'd be asking for a replacement. *q:=

(captcha == "monstru". ha)

Ian said...

Indeed. I always check 'em to make sure they're as empty as I can reasonably verify.

I go by:

#1) Weight
#2) Visible Amount
#3) Temperature

"Visible amount" in a dimly lit bar through dark brown glass can get tricky on occassion, but generally less than 1/2" warm swill gets it tossed, or if it remains untouched for more than 30 minutes.

And if they fuss (because I tossed a good one, which happens on occassion) I walk 'em to the bar and get them a fresh drink on the house :-)

I think the worst thing I ever tossed was a double shot of Patron because I thought it was melted ice. I couldn't replace that one fast enough!

Anonymous said...

I have gone recently a couple of times to 'people watch' while staying out of Ian's way as he works. Here are of a couple of observations I have:
-It does not matter if one is in a sweatshirt, hair not 'done', makeup not 'done', wedding ring ON and up for people to SEE- drunk guys will still hit on you; much to the dismay and ire of the gals who took 2 hours to get ready to go to said bar and 'hook-up' with said guys.
-Not all people who go, go to get drunk. I went a couple of weeks ago to hear Billy Joe Shaver (who was awesome). I heard a guy following his friend out the door, stating very loudly 'There is only drunks and ho's here anyway!' I wanted to stop him and ask him which catagory did he fit into? or his friend?

brian said...

I'm sure he would have proudly claimed the 'drunk' category, as this has somehow turned into a not-bad thing in this here day and age.

Also (back to hitting on even with ring on), I'm glad I'm not a girl. That sort of thing would get old as hell. I think that might cause me to get pretty foul mouthed with someone.

Maybe you can carry around a little sign you can put in front of you when you're sitting there. On one side you can have "Married and uninterested in adultery. Go away." and on the other side the same except spelled out phonetically for the rednecks.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Yeah, I think I'd rather a Cheers type of bar. Where lights are on and music is not too loud and people can talk, shuttle board, etc. And drink, I mean, it's a bar.

Do those exist? Or do they just not have bouncers?