Today we got up early and ate breakfast at someplace called the Big Cup - it was pretty good. We had lunch at a BBQ/Cajun food place in Granbury; it was a little less impressive, and though it had really good pinto beans it was nothing to write home about. Also - the beans have given me terrible gas.
Toni and I have begun the process of looking for a dog. We've been discussing it at length as of late, and we have very strict criteria that we have agreed to. They are as follows:
A) Must be a small dog (less than 25 lbs)
B) Must be a female
C) Must be inexpensive
D) Must be local
C) Must be a puppy (so we can train it up properly and so it can learn to adjust to the cats and the kiddo at a very young age.)
And we're trying to be very respectful of the fact that it's not our house, either. (We're already planning on replacing the carpet before we leave anyway.) I must admit it's the first (and only) time in my adult life where I'm being given free reign to actually train a dog. It's just another way that Toni is awesome. I'm looking forward to it. Anyway, the breeds we are looking at are:
A) Papillion

Our friend Jennifer had one, and though it did kill all of her chickens and only has one eye it's an awesome dog.
Artist Rendition:
B) Blue Heeler

We had one as a kid and it was a great dog. Also, Mad Max had one.
C) Corgi

Because it's cute.
Now, today we saw an ad in a boutique that said "housebroken rescued papillion puppies". We called to check it out, and after a brief visit it turned out that
A) They were not papillions
B) They were not puppies
C) They were not housebroken
They were dead ringers for my ex's dog, though, and while her dog was a great dog, this wouldn't have been a good match for us. The whole experience was kind of disappointing, but we're not giving up.
What else? It's hotter than Hades outside - it was 106 in areas, and evidently it felt like 111. Yeowch.
Oh - exciting news: we start the Advocare 24-Day Challenge in a few days. I'll post pictures as we go. It's going to be GREAT!
OK - that's it for now. 914 for Tuesday.
Except for one more thing.

4 comments:
I totally vote for Papillon. Heelers are great if you have room- and something to do with them daily. Same with Corgis! If you check your Craigslistings, or the Papillon rescue society (I can provide a link later) you should be able to find one close by!
Just my humble and smelly opinion, but that first thing is not a dog. In the same way the chihuahua and other animals like that are not dogs.
If something would be completely ineffective in an intruder situation (and/or could be "dealt with" by stepping on it by the bad guy) I don't know if that's useful enough animal to call it a dog. And near skull-splitting supersonic barking doesn't count. Since they typically do that all the time anyway. (Which is reason by itself not to have one.)
Unless, of course, you have a rat problem in your house I suppose. Which I assume that first one was bred for.
All that said, a) I don't have a dog either and am putting it off as long as possible and b) I imagine your wife gets the trump vote on this one. She has put up with a lot of cats that aren't hers if she's been jonesin' for a dawg. ha.
I believe the dog's primary function will be "ornament", followed closely by "companion". On ocassion, the dog's duties may include "cat tormentor", which should (hopefully) prevent the cats from getting overwhelmingly sassy.
Not included in the dog's job description:
A) protector
B) defender
C) alarm
D) hunter
E) attacker
F) biter
In the event it becomes evident that I'll need a dog for any of the above things, I'll get something far more suitable. :-)
You know which one I would vote for...the blue heeler, just like my Dingo-dog!! He's an AWESOME dog...but he weighs 45 lbs.
He's not small but he's not large either...he's solid muscle from his 3-4+ daily sessions of frisbee...his work. Super intelligent but still cuddly and personable.
He doesn't alert to "intruders" like my other 2 dogs but he has a "mean" look to him and people back away when they see him. That's a plus in my book, in case you were wondering = )
Post a Comment