Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Another mystery solved!



As most of you know, I have a propensity to blow my nose at the table. Yesterday, I discovered why. Courtesy of the internet.....

Gustatory Rhinitis: a type of non-allergic rhinitis, which is related to food or alcohol consumption. It occurs after consuming certain foods, especially hot and spicy ones. Adults may develop this condition, especially those with allergic rhinitis. One of the most common symptoms is a runny nose while eating. Foods with preservatives and dyes also cause gustatory rhinitis. Usually, the nasal discharge will be clear and watery. This profuse nasal discharge is believed to be caused by the dilation of blood vessels in the nose, which is mediated by the vagal nerve that is stimulated by the consumption of food. Some experience the symptom as soon as they ingest food.

Ah - you have to love self-diagnosis, huh? Especially the ones that get you off the hook a little. Plus I love anything that lets me say (with glee) it's really not my fault.

What else? My new glasses came in today. They make me look a little like this guy:

The new ones are a lot more comfortable, and I sure can see better, man - the old ones had badly scratched lenses, broken nosepieces, broken earlieces and kitten chew marks on the....well...the whole thing. Thank you, Wal-Mart.

Our daughter is spending the night over tonight with her BFF. Toni is working another Advocare event until later, so we're going to slum it and eat McDonalds. I'm getting to where I can't eat the "trash food" as much anymore, so I'm eating less and less of it. The more into Advocare I get, the better I eat, and the healthier I am. We had pizza a few nights ago and have discoverd that we can only handle thin-crust because it's less greasy and has a LOT fewer calories. Oh - and Toni and I become Advocare Advisors next week, and we're looking forward to the opportunities that will bring us. Good news all around, man. We're going to continue to move forward towards moving out, too - more on that as that particular story develops.

Plus it rained today, which is nice.

Ok - that's it. Cats are all fine. A special birthday blog for my beloved bride tomorrow :-)

908

5 comments:

brian said...

Ok, so you get a runny nose when you start eating.

Does that *really* mean it's ok to honk the crap out of it at the *table* tho?

*q:

Hello, my name is Brian, and I am a parade-rainer.

("Hi Brian")

haha

(Just lookin out for your girl/mom/whoever else objects.) *q:

Ian said...

Next you'll say I can't fart at the table, either. Sheesh......


All kidding aside - I have been making a concerted effort to actually get us and leave before I honk. Toni encourages it and heaps praise every time I do it. It's a bit like petting your dog for going potty outside, but it seems to be working ;-P

verification word: patio - where I can honk in peace.

Ian said...

Also - I'm glad to just know *why*. It drove me nuts, and I could never pin down why.

Hot chili, spicy Chinese, jalepenos, habeneros - I get that.

But mashed potatoes? Fried chicken? Macaroni & cheese? It was witchcraft!

Brandon and Jenny said...

Did it say anything about blowing your nose on your shirt or anything in the dirty clothes? :P

brian said...

laugh. yeah, no farting at the table unless you're alone, I think. heh.

rofl @ in the dirty clothes too. I forgot about that story. haha