Wednesday, May 5, 2010

If you wanna come in, use the front door.



I guess this all came to be because of the new law that the state of Arizona has passed. In short, it gives local law enforcement the right to inquire about somebody's citizenship if they think they might be in the country illegally, and then detain (and arrest) them for violating existing immigration laws in the event that they people in question are in the county illegally. No new laws were passed - all that happened is that now the local cops can make an inquiry and an arrest instead of having to rely on the feds to do it.

For this, a lot of folks are screaming that it's a racist law, though it applies to everybody. if you ask me, it's too bad the country isn't being overridden by illegal white people. I'd kind of like to see A) how popular the law would be if whiteys were streaming in and B) if anybody would be shouting racism.

I don't like being thought of as a racist, man, and I don't think that supporting a new piece of legislation makes me hate anybody, but if the folks are screaming that if I support it I'm a racist I'm prepared to accept that label, even though I don't think it fits. To me, being a racist means that you hate people because of what color skin they have. Personally, my beef is with people who don't follow the law, no matter what color they are.

You know what else I don't like? I heard a politician say it was a step towards Nazi Germany because the police would be "asking for papers". I don't agree with that for the following reason: giving local law enforcement the power to arrest people that are breaking an existing federal law - that our own government passed - is in no way like killing six million Jews. Hey, Jews - the systematic extermination of your people by a evil maniac dictator is only as important as local cops arresting illegal aliens for breaking the law. Jeez - what a slap in the face, man. Hey, Jews? I think the Holocaust is a much bigger deal.

See.... I'm all for letting any and all immigrants into the country that want to come in - I really am. Hell - this country was founded by immigrants. I love other cultures, man. But there's one caveat, and that's this: you have to follow the law if you're gonna stay, man, and you gotta come in the right way. Collecively, America loves immigrants - America just wants you guys to use the front door instead of jumping the rear fence and sneaking into the back yard. Be a guest - not an intruder.

Personally, I'd like to see a wall from San Diego to Brownsville, and another one from Bellingham to Caribou. I want lots of gates in both of 'em, too. I hears a wise person say that once, a long time ago.

Anyway, that's it for Wednesday.

805

No comments: